View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
(female)

tishaboo HB User
Re: Ulnar Shortening Surgery... how long is recovery?

I'm doing much better. In PT, after heat and ultrasound I can fully supinate on a good day, but most of the time I can supinate all of but 10-20 degrees. I can fully pronate, and I can bend forward and backward all of but 10 degrees. The therapist takes measurments to gage my progress, but I just compare my gimpy wrist to my good wrist to gage my own progress. My good wrist is very flexible and hypermobile, so I still have quite a ways to go to get that flexible again. I'm no expert but I don't think I'll ever get that flexible again until my plate is out, but time will tell. I begin working on strength this week. Given the number of times I've jammed/ bent/pulled my wrist at home/work, I doubt that the strength exercises could be nearly as painful as my own bloopers

Before I returned to work last week my doc did an x-ray and confirmed that my bones are joining (yay!). He said that I don't have to wear the splint anymore but I decided I'll still wear it when I'm out and about, and when I'm sleeping. When I'm busy doing things or sleeping, I don't pay attention to what I'm doing with my arm and I've had a few painful bloopers that resulted in a few days of pain and swelling. I kind of need that bright little thing to remind me that my arm is still broken! It also lessens the damage of my carelessness by keeping my wrist from bending too far or suddenly when I jam it. Until my bone is fully healed and I'm not constantly sore and subject to swelling anymore, I will be using my splint! I'm no expert, but my pain tells me (loud and clear) what I need to do. Besides, my PT is going very well and it has not seemed to hinder my progress...better safe than sorry

Overall, while I'm seeing steady improvements, I still get frustrated by the fact that most activity, even light activity, still seems to make it swell and hurt. I know that's a normal part of healing and getting it moving again, but it's nonetheless frustrating because it makes me feel so limited. However being able to bathe myself and do my own hair (with two hands!), drive myself around and work again far outweigh any frustration. I can't articulate how wonderful it is to get back some independence!