Thread: Urine smell
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Urine smell

Let's see if I can answer some of these questions without getting lost.

First, I'm not a T2, but did have gestational diabetes while pregnant and therefore am a risk for T2. I have a T1 child and therefore follow a meal plan for him that helps keep his sugars stable throughout the day.

The food pyramid that I follow is this - daily:

Vegetables: 30-60% 1/2 raw and 1/2 cooked
Beans/legumes: 10-40%
Fruits: 10-40%
Seeds, nuts and avocados: 10-40%
Whole grains & potatoes 20% or less
Poultry, oil, eggs, fish & fat free dairy: less than 10%
Beef, sweets, cheese & processed foods: rarely

My theory is that the brain needs carbs for fuel. You have to watch your meat consumption to be able to keep your cholesterol levels in good shape. Eating a lot of fatty meat is not good for your LDL.

Many foods that are white, besides bread, have good vitamins in them.

Fruits are good in NATURAL SUGAR, not processed sugar and also have good vitamins. They also have good antioxidants and bananas are high in potassium which is an electrolyte. You don't have to eat a lot of them, just a 1/2 cup or the size of your fist. They help keep you full and not crave bad sugars before your next meal.

I've stated, it's not what you eat, it's how much you eat of what you eat. Less is more in some cases. You can't eat cake at every meal but you can have a treat from time to time. If you don't, you'll go nuts and go off your plan and get discouraged.

If you continue with a low carb diet forever, you're doing your body an injustice and starving your brain cells and doing more harm than good. A good balance from all food groups is very beneficial and keeps your metabolism burning and keeps you from yoyoing. Some people have slow metabolisms and some have fast. T2 is a metabolic disorder whereas T1 is an autoimmune disorder. If you've got a metabolic disorder then you need to find the right combination of foods to keep the metabolism running and get the weight off and keep yourself healthy and avoid gallstones, kidney stones and other health issues often associated with diabetes. Everyone is different and what has worked for you may not always work for the next. I'm merely offering suggestions to help Manishrathi make his own decisions on what could possibly work for him.

His question was: Are ketones bad. In my opinion they are if they are present for a long time. Yes, his urine will smell because of the body getting rid of the fat through the kidneys processing the waste.

He said he's dizzy - that's unhealthy and he can't be skipping meals if he wants to lose weight. Fasting every Monday is not healthy either. It's giving the body a wrong message and telling the brain it's hungry and therefore making him dizzy and probably pushing him into a hypoglycemic situation which is making him sicker. That's yoyoing to me. A diabetic can't be skipping meals whether you're a T1 or T2. It's bad no matter what and your body will store fat for survival.

He doesn't say how long he's been a T2 diabetic, but regardless, he's fooling himself if he thinks he can control his sugars and lose weight by skipping meals and not keeping himself healthy and eat a healthy, balanced meal and stay away from a lot of saturated fats and high glycemic foods. Once he gets into a routine that works for him and finds that the weight will come off when he's eating correctly, his attitude will be good and he will understand the reason for a good, balanced meal which includes foods from all food groups. Moderation is good.

Manishrathi, I would suggest you talk to your endocrinologist about getting an appointment with a dietician and work out a food plan that will benefit you based on all of your other standings with what your cholesterol levels are, what your triglycerides are, what your sugars have been, and where you are heading with your current plan of fasting and skipping meals. Keep a food journal of what you're eating so the dietician can see what you're doing and that person can make recommendations of where you need to change things to help you get to your goal of becoming a healthier person.