View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

shell683 HB User
Question Is it VN or Meniere's or MAV? I'm scared...

Hi,

I am brand new here. I did a search on Google and ended up here. I am specifically wanting to ask Ginger some questions since you know your stuff. I hope you read this soon. I apologize for how long it will be....I'm so SCARED

I am 45 yrs old. I have Fibromyalgia, GERD and iron-related anemia and some back issues. Other than that, I eat pretty healthy and exercise as much as my fibro lets me. All that changed on Feb 18th. I'd just got off a long phone call..and the room started spinning--not violently..I could walk--I even thought I was just hungry so I went and ate a banana and a few bites of yogurt. I then took Benadryl because I thought it must be my allergies- fluid in my ear. My parents both have had short episodes of BPPV and it was allergy related- they always took either antivert or Benadryl and were fine the next day. I barely had any nausea at all. I do remember an awful headache and my heart was pounding, face was flushed and I felt hot. I yelled for my hubby after it went on for almost an hour because I was scared. I went to bed, still spinning some..and fell asleep. I woke later and felt drugged from the benadryl ( I sedate easily).

I texted my nurse practitioner and she told me to get some meclizene OTC. Hubby did and I took it--it zonked me out. I slept til the next day and had the dizzies but no more vertigo. Head still hurt, even my neck. My face would occasionally flush..I felt shaky on my insides. The next thing that hit me was I couldnt stand sound- even my soft spoken hubby was too loud, my eyes wouldn't focus and at times neither would my brain. Over the next couple days my ears started to ring (like crickets?) and they'd feel full. I had pain in my left ear. I went to Dr office and put me on Zpak. It did nothing. Referred to ENT on 3/6, all tests were normal. Referred me to VRT. I've been once and she did the epley- it stirred the vertigo for a few moments. After the therapy, my right ear felt full of water- sounded awful while chewing but it stopped by bedtime.

Now all of the symptoms above come and go (no more face flushing) but havent had any vertigo--but dizzy every single day. I do think the VRT helped- I go 2x this week. I am in my final semester of college and feeling like I cannot do it. The PT thinks I have VN and also BPPV. Can you have VN and all the ear symptoms? I thought that was just Meniere's?? She doesn't think it sounds like Meniere's. That is my biggest fear--that it is MD--sounds like a life sentence to me instead of a dx. I've studied alot about it and I know one attack wouldnt give me a dx.

So.....I said all that to ask this--do I have to *wait* to see if I have another attack or 2 to see if it *is* MD? It's got me all torn up-- I cry off and on everyday. My hubby is the BEST and I have lots of ppl praying for me. If I have the VNG(?) test will that help me to know? I live in a rural area without much to go on. I'm going to continue with VRT because it did help my dizziness a lot. Thank you to you and to anyone who reads this and will care to reply. I need some hope.

Michele