View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Change in Meds/Pain unbearable

There is a lot of confusion about the new rules in WA state. They were probably talking about morphine equivalency, which is often how doctors compare pain med doses. What medication are you on? Glad you at least got some increase, but sorry you are having so much pain as your dose is lower than you were used to.

Yes in WA now when you are over a certain dose per day, and receiving your meds from a doctor who isn't certified in pain management, you have to follow up with a pain doc at certain intervals. They didn't think it out too well as there is already a shortage of pain docs (plus folks like you who live so far).

Definitely ask them to clarify so you have a good understanding of what you may be required to do. I think its ridiculous to have that sort of dose threshold as everyone has different tolerance. I think everyone who is on long acting meds should be seeing a pain doc, but sometimes that just isn't possible.

I had to see four pain docs to find one willing to continue my treatment. Most of them here want to get people off pain meds, not use them as part of a treatment. In fact, they had no other reasonable suggestions for me (only re-trying things I had already tried, or literally nothing). Thankfully I have a good pain doc now in the Seattle area, but who knows for how long things will go well. Best wishes.