View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

undertheivy HB User
Does wheat make you immediately tired?

Hi all!

First off: a disclaimer. I don't have celiac disease, but suspect I may have an intolerance of wheat, linked to my chronic back arthritis. To see, I decided to cut out wheat entirely for six weeks during Lent, as a sort of science experiment on myself. To my surprise, I do feel a little better. My back pain and stiffness is somewhat reduced (not gone or anything miraculous, but reduced for sure).

However, yesterday, I was having a terrible day. Looking after two kids that were fighting constantly, then a disturbing road rage incident, then gashing my finger open whilst making said kids' lunches... and I was so strung-out by noon, that I gave in utterly, ate a HUGE chocolate chip cookie full of wheat.

That afternoon, I could barely keep my eyes open, and that evening, I fell asleep at about 6:30pm and was dead to the world. This is somewhat unusual for me. My tiredness could have been due to my hectic day, but i was curious if eating wheat for the first time in over a month could have been a contributing factor too? The falling asleep before it is even dark thing is VERY unusual for me, as I am actually an insomniac.

I understand wheat is linked to tiredness in the longer-term, but could eating it again for the first time literally send me to sleep that fast?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Kat x