View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Ulnar Shortening Surgery... how long is recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvoid View Post
Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me. I'm considering having Ulnar Shortening surgery in a couple of months time on my left arm, along with debridement of the tfcc. I've had several consultations with the surgeon, read lots of studies/reports, & combed lots of forums trying to get a good handle on recovery time & various outcomes etc, the thread you guys have got going here happens to have helped a lot.
My main issue is that I'm a professional drummer and I'm quite worried about not getting full rotation back & having a much weaker arm (in terms of structure) & stuff like that.
I'm wondering how you guys are getting on with the recovery? Would you mind detailing things like bone union, rotation of the arm, strength in the wrist, and strength in the arm with the plate & screws in etc?
Also, i've been advised that I should put aside 4 months for full recovery - does that sound right?

Any information would massively helpful and hugely appreciated!
I had my ulnar osteotomy in February 2012. I gained full strength back pretty quickly. A good certified hand therapist was a real help. My pronation came pretty close to normal. My supination didn't quite come back though. I ended up needing arthroscopic tfcc debriedment at the end of November and had my plate removed at the time. Once I got the plate out, I started PT with the certified hand therapist and I'm almost back to my original normal. I can get full supination when I'm stretched, I'm close when I'm not.

Your healing is the same as someone who had a plated broken bone. I'd say 4 months sounds about right. How much are you having done in your tfcc area? Repair there might take some time. Debriedment is shorter. My second surgery had a much quicker healing time.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Last edited by MountainReader; 03-25-2013 at 06:40 PM.