View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
(male)

DietCanDoIt HB User
Total Cholesterol lowered from 262 to 148 in 11 weeks

Diet can do it. Maybe not for everyone, but if you are willing to improve your diet and exercise some, you can dramatically reduce your cholesterol.

I went from a very bad diet high in saturated fats, cholesterol and processed foods to a diet very low in saturated fates and cholesterol and much more natural.

I went from never working out to working out 5 times a week for 45-60 minutes.

My cholesterol numbers from Jan 10 of this year:
Triglycerides 96 (<150)
Total Cholesterol 262 (125-200)
HDL 47 (>40)
LDL 196 (<130)
CHOL to HDLC 5.6 (<=5.0)

Results from my follow up test today on 3/26/2013.
Triglycerides 80 (<150)
Total Cholesterol 148 (125-200) Over a 40% drop
HDL 37 (>40)
LDL 95 (<130) Over a 50% drop
CHOL to HDLC 4.0 (<=5.0)

My basic daily routine for accomplishing this without medication was:

M, W, F - Work out 1 hour (30 mins cardio and 30 mins resistance)
Tu, Th - Work out 45 mins of cardio

After the workout, I would have a protein shake with 1 banana, 1/8 cup blueberries. Total calories in the shake were under 300.

Lunch would be 1 cup of Quaker Oatmeal cooked. I would add a gram of cinnamon, tablespoon of local honey, and a banana. Total calories were under 600.

Dinner would usually consist of something that would be appropriate for the Mediterranean diet. We ate fish 2-3 times a week. I allowed myself to have thin crust veggie pizza once every 2 weeks. In the weeks I didn't have pizza, I indulged in some other "regular" meal once a week.

When I really needed fast food, I had Subway Ham and Turkey (no cheese) with green vegetables and yellow mustard. I also had a couple of grilled sandwiches from McDonald's and Chick Fil A (no mayo).

My "regular" meal that I had each week would still be under 20 grams of saturated fat.

On an average day my diet would have 18% fat, 60% carbs and 22% protein. Saturated Fat would be approximately 6% of my total.

Cholesterol would be around 165 mg.

Fiber was about 35 grams.

I cut out dairy completely. Almond milk replaced the skim milk I had been drinking.

I was able to do this by not eating out unless I knew the nutritional information in the meal. I probably ate out 3 times and went to 2 parties during this 11 week period. Eating out and parties make it very hard to track what you are eating.

My pre January 10th routine was as bad diet and exercise wise as this diet is good.

I know everyone is different. Some people cannot lower their cholesterol without the assistance of medication. However, if you haven't tried to manage with diet, you may be surprised how much better you can do. The change can be dramatic and quick.