View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Biopsies, Scopes & Needles..Oh,My!

Fibroids usually have a growth spurt just before menopause. I wonder if yours developed then and have just taken this long to grow. I do know of women who developed fibroids around the time of menopause and they didn't shrink after meno. Some women don't have as great a drop in their estrogen at menopause so it would seem reasonable that their fibroids may not shrink. Also, the testosterone still being produced by your ovaries post-meno gets converted into estrogen feeding the fibroids. And estrogenic foods can also feed fibroids. I believe some meds and health conditions can also increase chances of fibroids and polyps. For example, estrogen antagonists used for breast cancer (e.g. Tamoxifen) increases risk for polyps and even endometrial cancer.

Yes, fibroids and polyps are VERY RARELY malignant (I believe less than 1%).
And I've always read that they don't need to be treated if they aren't causing problems such as heavy bleeding or pain.

As far as biopsies, an endometrial biopsy will check for abnormal cells in the uterine lining...not sure if it can be used to check the fibroids. Some women say it's quite painful; others say it wasn't a big deal. I had one and it wasn't a big deal. You may want to ask about taking a painkiller beforehand if you decide to proceed.

If you decide to have the polyp removed, they usually do a polypectomy and then send it off for biopsy. If the fibroids are small and you want them removed, they may be able to remove them with the hysteroscope. But some doctors have different skills than others so this may not be offered to you.