View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

m1078744 HB User
Exclamation 3mm pituitary microadenoma-can it cause problems?

My neurologist had me get a MRI last Friday and was told on Monday that a small pituitary microadenoma was apparent in the scan. I wasn't told any details about it, only that I should follow-up with my endocrinologist. I have been treated for hypothyroidism for two years, so I am familiar with this doctor. When I consulted with her today, she said that it was 3mm and that it could even be a particle or a glitch.

She said that it most likely isn't the cause of the low grade fevers that I've been dealing with for three months. The neurologist thought that a pituitary tumor could cause them as it's located near the hypothalamus. I have been feeling extremely bad for quite a while now. I was really hoping for some kind of answer, some kind of cause for it. I have constant pain (I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia), stomach troubles that don't seem to have a cause, lots of unexplained weight gain, and my eyes are troubling me a lot when they hadn't before.

The endo wrote orders for bloodwork testing the pituitary hormones as well as means to collect a 24-hour urine sample to check cortisol levels. She said she doubted the microadenoma was causing problems but just wanted to cover the bases. I am very disheartened. I don't know what to do. If it's not causing the problems, then what is? Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.