View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
(female)

percan HB User
Re: Thyroid a factor for osteoperosis? I'm also on Strontium

Ktnap, I also have Hashimoto's, since 2003, and was given the osteo diagnosis in 2011 with my first Dexa, though I suspect I had it for a few years before. It was my understanding that Hyperthyroid is really bad for the bones, hypo (which is what you are if you have Hashi's) isn't as bad. I don't think there is a cause-effect relationship between thyroid and osteo, they just often seem to go together as both affect more women, and both are more frequent as we get older.

Anyhow, I am also one of the oddball people who loses weight when I go hypo. I've been on thyroid meds since 2003, but started losing weight again (I was holding steady at 105 for a few years) and this January was down to 100. Went to my internist and we found that my thryoid was low again, so he upped my dose. I walk every day and try to get all my calcium from food. I recently started drinking almond milk since it has twice as much calcium as milk which I don't tolerate well anyhow, so the almond milk is working well. I go back for another check on thyroid in a a few days to see how the higher dosage is working, I'm worried that it may be too much - I really want to make sure I don't go hyper as that is very bad for bones.

Phylwill - I'm not sure how you can claim 127 lbs is best for bones, wouldn't it depend on height? I'm only 5'2" and small framed, I'd look like a blimp at 127 and all my life have never weighed more than 112.