View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: It's only feeling tired... Not!

I understand your concerns, as some of your symptoms are outside the usual symptoms of anemia. Here's what I know can be caused by anemia, depending of course on severity: the standard pale, tired, but also short of breath with exertion, dizziness, muscle cramps in legs, like while climbing stairs, fast heartbeat, having to lie down after exertion. Some people with low ferritin seem to get ringing in ears and visual disturbance. Some of your symptoms could point to another underlying problem associated with the anemia. Like the muscle aches, tingling and twinges could be associated with an autoimmune disease, of which there are many, and often associated with anemia. I would ask Dr to do an autoimmune workup on you, which should include the following: sed rate and CRP (inflammation), B12 & folate (Nerve function), Vit D (often deficient), CK (muscle enzyme for muscle pain), ANA (for lupus), RA (rheumatoid arthritis), urine (lupus) and chemistry panel (general for lots of things). It is essential the cause of the anemia be determined. I cannot emphasize that enough. Anemia is a symptom of something else, which has to be identified and treated. Treating the anemia only is a bandaid over a gaping wound.