View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 08:38 AM   #1

redmapletree HB User
Pituitary Adenoma

I am cross-posting this here as well as on the Thyroid board.

I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago as being hypothyroid.

A very small amount of synthroid (.75) worked to keep my level at 1.7 and I was feeling great. Continued to get my levels checked every three months through my family doctor. Didn't see an endo because we were able to get it under control so easily.

A little over three months ago I started noticing some physical changes that I'm too old for! Increased breast size and lactation (I've had my kids and there is no way I'm pregnant). I went to my GYN and she orderd a prolactin test and an MRI.

The MRI shows a 2mm pituitary adenoma. I understand that it is very small and that most pitiutary adenomas are prolactin secreting (mine is not) and non-cancerous.

At the same time the prolactin test was done a T4 was done and my TSH was up to 14. She sent me to an endo the next week. He increased my synthroid to 1.

I went back last week to have it checked again and it is now at 29.551 and the synthroid has been increased to 1.5.

Any ideas on how common a TSH secreting pitiutary adenoma is? What questions should I be asking my doctor.

Thanks, Sharon