View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 11:23 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User
Re: Post Surgery Tips

Hey o'girl....not a problem my friend. It is nice to see these tips resurfacing after (what--a year?) after I first posted them? hehe They're standing up to the test of time....eh? I hope you are doing well and life is treating you kindly. HAPPY NEW YEAR too!

I still utilize some of these post-helps to this day (and I am almost 2 years post surgery). Just knowing I have help when I need it makes my life easier. It seems I hurt myself less knowing I have options when the pain begins. heehee silly but true. Take Care!

[QUOTE=oakleygirl]Keep those tips coming! They're great!

Successtory posted the following thread quite awhile ago. Successtory - hope you don't mind, but these 'Tips for Success' are great and I'm sure many of us can benefit from these. I guess you could sue me...(Please don't)!!

Here is the "long-awaited" (yeah, right) TIPS FOR SUCCESS I promised. I first want to iterate these tips are suggestions to try to make your lives easier. Nothing here will "directly" lessen your pain (like a pill)...but it will help in your need to be useful, and will help keep your stamina up to keep going through your day. These suggestions may even help uplift your spirits a little, knowing all is not a lost cause. I encourage others to add to the TIPS list...as I will only be hitting on those things I came in contact with every day.
(1) Get reachers or Grabbers. There is the kind I call "the hook" and is 'spring-loaded' -- good for picking up after the kids. Then there is the "scissors" kind. Made of wood w/rubber ends and is extra long. Good for picking up cups on floor, bowls, etc. Much sturdier to pick up heavier things (like wet towels and such).
(2) Get a push-sweeper. Non-electric variety. Uses nothing but your arm to push and pull it--EXTREMELY light weight. Bissel sells the only one I know of -- not that great (I use a Dirt ***** model that is now discontinued)...but will keep your living space presentable. You still have to have someone else vacuum, but you can at least keep the "top dirt" to a minimum!
(3) Putting velcro on the bottom of things that keep sliding is a terrific and cheap idea. I used it for my computer keyboard and mouse. It can be used for any hardback you choose to use.
(4) Hardbacks: These are materials that are hard enough to write on, etc. I have used cardboard box tops to the cardboard inside photo paper boxes (that keep the paper straight). You can write letters, etc. upright by using a hardback and a grease pen(pencil)-- doesn't run out of 'ink' while writing.
(5) Styrofoam slats or pieces: These can be purchased at a store like Home Depot. Used "normally" for inexpensive insulation. Can be used to sort things, to put on top of countertops as work areas for you (that are high enough), is a GREAT 'moveable' work space while convalescing in bed.
(6) Boxes...all sizes. Small ones are good to keep your pens and pencils, tape, staplers, etc. Larger ones good for keeping files and larger items (extra socks when your feet are cold, etc.) Standing a box on it's side or end may be beneficial for writing too.
(7) Keep a small igloo ice chest by your bed with your ice packs, fruit, water, etc. Good for those times when you must lay down, but are hungry.
(8) Get an 'arm' lamp. One that can hook onto your bedside table and moves (and stays) wherever you move it to. These are WONDERFUL and cost less than $15.
(9) A wipe-on/wipe-off (or white board) is great to keep bedside. I found during major bouts of pain everything in my head just went out the window. Using the wo-wo board, I was able to forget less things (always made me feel better!)
(10) A cut-out pillow. The donuts are good, but they seem a bit small for me. I used a pillow designed for hemmeroid sufferers. It is square with a triable cut out from one side (so the tailbone is supported on each side--but nothing to bother it in the middle).
(11) Massage units. Do your research. A massage unit is great for those injuries where the vibration will not harm you. I didn't use mine until about 4-5 months post IDET (just in case).
(12) TENS unit. I have found this to be good ONLY when your back is stabilized. It doesn't really take the pain away...what it DOES do is help double or triple my stamina. I can sit longer with it on, walk longer, etc. This is one item you WILL need a doctor to prescribe, but it's a gadget...so thought I'd include it in this posting.
(13) Pain-relieving Gel. This isn't quite a gadget, but I sure like this one. I use a product called "BIOFREEZE". It has Ilex in it and it really helped me when I had achy pain (not sharp). It is a hot/cold gel therapy and will literally take away some of your pain. (OK...this IS one gadget that will take some pain away). I highly recommend this product.
(14) Walking Aids: I find using an aluminum cane while walking around has been extremely helpful, especially after I have over-done it. I tend to lose my balance when my back is tired (as well as drop things a lot!). Having the cane helps me feel a little more secure...so I stop tripping and dropping things. I don't use it every day...only on an as-needed basis.
OK...those are some of the gadgets that have helped me get through my pain and move on. I have probably forgotten a few, but I think you all get the idea. Whatever is around the house has potential. Step out of your box and look around. Help is all around you, be creative...it CAN be kinda fun to find your own solutions to your comfort problems! My hubby laughs at me all the time when I come up with some fluey ideas, but it keeps me off HIS back and me effectively dealing with mine! hehe )
I hope you are able to find something here that will make a difference in your life. Good luck to all and I look forward to seeing some other suggested TIPS too!
Enjoy All!
successtory[/QUOTE]