View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
Inactive

The_Cheese_Man HB User
Unhappy Test results for oral cancer today...what does all of this mean?

Hello

I don't know if you all remember but I had a CT scan w/contrast dye of my head and neck a few weeks ago that showed "superficial swelling" of the mandibular lymph nodes but no tumors or other abnormalities. I had chewed snuff for 22 years and quite about 3 weeks ago.

I then had a CBC w/Diff plus electrolytes. This test came back normal.

Last monday I had two biopsies. One of the gingiva (gum) and the other of the inside of my cheek (buccal mucosa).

Today I called up the nurse from the ENT's office and was told that the lab did'nt find any malignancies but that it was a "false-negative" and it was still very important that I keep my upcoming appointment because "we" would need to keep a very close eye on this. She also said that the doctor was really the one who would need to interpret the results and discuss this with me.

As soon as I got off the phone I was ecstatic. No cancer... YIPEE!!!. Then I read what a false negative REALLY meant and it was very depressing to say the least. From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong) a "false-negative" means that you probably DO have cancer but that the lab just was'nt able to detect it. Is this right?. I also read that people who get back a false negative result sometimes have an "unwarranted sense of optimism which means (I'm guessing) that they really don't have any reason to BE optimistic.

Can someone help me out here please and explain to me what all this means?. I am feeling all doomy and gloomy here. Even if I do have oral cancer, does it sound like I at least caught it pretty early?. I have never had cancer before in my life and feel like I might as well start making out my will )-:

Thank you for your kind replies