View Single Post
Old 01-17-2004, 12:16 AM   #2

indian HB User
Cool Re: Test results for oral cancer today...what does all of this mean?

Hi

I work for an ENT who specializes in oral cancers. A false/negative could be signs of an early cancer or it could be signs of a condition known as a leukoplakia which is a type of benign condition, or the false/negative could also be a pre-cancerous condition sometimes known as a hyperplasia. What type of symptoms do you have. Early signs of oral cancer are weight loss when not dieting, hoarseness, throat pain, burning sensation in the oral cavity including possibly the tongue, unexplained headaches. If the biopsies of the two areas showed a false/negative your ENT may suggest an endoscopy to look down the throat and esophagus to make sure there are no tumors or anything else going on in that are. If it were me, I think I would go for a second opinion to put my mind at ease. It you are diagnosed with a precancerous or early cancer of the oral cavity it is highly treatable and there are many treatment options available including laser surgery. You may just have a simple inflammation of the glands. I don't know how old you are, but we treat people of all ages with oral cavity problems and they do pretty well with early diagnosed conditions. {Content removed} The reason I suggest a second opinion is mostly for your piece of mind and sometimes one Dr. will pick up what another doesn't. It doesn't mean that one Dr. is better than the other but one Dr. may order other tests that another one doesn't. I hope this information is helpful.

Last edited by hbguide1; 01-17-2004 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Healthboard.com forums are for on-board sharing only. Please review the Board Guidelines.