Thread: My Story
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2004, 12:34 PM   #1

Daws HB User
My Story

(Sorry if this is kind of long but I just need to share some things, thanks in advance for taking the time to read it.)

Well, I wish I could tell you all a story of how I have suffered with acne and then found some sort of magical cure that made the pain and embarassment go away. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I'm an 18 year old male currently in my first year of University and to make a long story short, the past 2 years or so I have suffered from cyst-type acne. After using all of those ineffective facial cleansers with Salicyclic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide (Clearasil, Clean & Clear, etc.) I finally got up the courage to see my family doctor. She started me off on a type of antibiotic that required 2 pills a day as well as a mild stievamycin gel. After I used up my prescription of that, with little or no results, I saw the doctor again. This time she prescribed the stuff I am currently using, a stronger stievamycin gel along with Minocycline. I've been using that for approx. 4 monthes now. It has been more effective than the other stuff I've tried, but the hard bumps under my skin are still there, and aren't showing any signs of going away.

Last Thursday I had another appointment with my doctor, she filled out a sheet for blood work and suggested that maybe I should consider Accutane. I read the little booklet about it and it didn't seem so bad. Then after doing a little research about it on the internet (mainly on these boards), I really don't think it would be the best thing to do.

I figured I'd come here and let everyone know my condition, maybe you have experienced/are experiencing something similar? If you know of anything that could help that would be great.

You wouldn't believe the excuses I have had to come up with, just so I could stay at home wallowing in self-pity instead of going out with my friends. If I can't even bear the site of my own face in the mirror, then there's no way I want to go anywhere in public. Basically I only leave my house to go to school, and with a pale face that has multiple red marks on my forehead and chin, this past year has been one of the worst of my life. Having to hide my face as best as I can with my hair or my jacket, not looking people in the eye when I talk to them...I just can't take it anymore. When I get into the later years of University and we start having more group work and discussions, I won't be able to sit at the very back of class like I do now and not contribute answers or participate.

I need to find something that works, something that will at least get it under control.

Anyone else have the same problem/tried the same treatments? I ask because I'm kind of at a loss as to what I should do now. At this point I'm willing to try anything to make the red marks go away.

And just for the record, there is no genetic history of acne in my family. Neither of my parents experienced it, seems like I'm the only one unfortunate enough to develop it.