View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

Chellaine HB User
Question 4 yr old son Dxed w/ADHD today

My 4 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD today but I think there is more to it than that. I knew there was a problem from the time he was about 1 1/2 yrs old. He IS hyper and always has been. His attention span is about this long __ . BUT, He also has other things going on like, fascination with fire, to the point of almost burning my house down last week, He found a lighter, yes my fault and I feel horrible and blame myself, started a fire in a garbage can in the living room while I was in the kitchen and almost caught the curtains on fire. The whole time just staring at the fire and laughing. He is also obsessive/compulsive. He didn't talk until he was 3. He is developmentally delayed, he is at the age level of a 2 yr old. He can not go to pre-school at public school, he has to go to the psychiatric center in our city, luckily they have a wonderful pre-school program for children like him. He shows little emotion other than anger. He has never shown sadness or remorse. When he hurts someone, he doesn't care. For a while I thought he had toddler Tourettes for the way he was cussing everyone out, words I don't even use. The school says it's normal with kids like him. Not normal for kids, but for kids like him. He has never wanted to be touched much, he won't let you cuddle or hug him much, unless it's his idea. It hurts me so bad to see him this way, I love him so much and I sit and wonder if this is all my fault? What did I do for him to deserve this? And will he ever forgive me. The Psychiatrist today said he has some Autistic traits but he isn't Autistic. I just don't understand. He also said that in children this young, they don't like to put them on meds for ADHD or hyperactivity but because he is so violent he wants to try him on Risperdal and see how that works. He is to take 1/2 of a 0.25 pill every morning to start.
Well, I am sorry this was so long but I had so much to say, I have so much more but I don't want to write a book.
Thank you all for letting me vent.
Chellaine