View Single Post
Old 04-19-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Getting over my phobia

I know most, if not all, people have phobias of one sort or another. Mine is a less common one, but it's still there and I'm very embarrassed about it because it's more of a child's fear than an adolescent's fear or an adult's fear.

I have a terrible fear of thunderstorms...tiny little summer thundershowers don't bother, but the really loud ones with lightning and those ominous looking cumulonimbus clouds really frighten me. When they're about the horizon I start to get horrible chills and start shaking uncontrollably. I usually hide my whole self in a blanket to shield my eyes, and I end up sweating because it's summer (d'oh!). And if that disclaimer comes across the bottom of the TV screen about a tornado then I almost break into tears and I usually get scared enough to hide in the basement until it blows over.

In all honesty, I don't know how or why I developed such a bizarre phobia. I have never seen a tornado in real life, nor has there ever been one around here that I have ever heard of. But I have had numerous nightmares and general dreams about them because of my fear.

No one else in my family (or that I know for that matter) has this fear, so I find it very difficult to try and share it with anyone. Does anyone know if there's a way I can begin to overcome this fear? Because summer is just around the bend, and I'm already starting to get shaky thinking about oncoming storms. Please help?

Dark Stranger