View Single Post
Old 04-20-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Beginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB UserBeginning HB User
Re: caught totally off guard

All you can do is take it a day at a time, and learn as much as possible to help your parents. I'm also a lawyer but I work in an area that is completely useless for our family. We paid for 1-1/2 hour with an Eldercare lawyer to learn as much as possible when my husband was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. We got lots of information on how Medicare works in our state. I also took a CLE class on Elder Law, which was very helpful.

I've discovered that there are lots of wonderful people who can help with this horrible disease. If you can find an Alzheimers' Center through a Senior Assn. or hospital (your father's doctor/neurologist should be able to point you in the right direction), they will have lots of resources & information. There are lots of books that can be helpful (I liked Alzheimers for Dummies). In our case, the only resource that I haven't been able to find is one for our teens & preteen. There's very little help for kids whose parent is ill.

You will be surprised at the number of people who will come forward with prayers and support for you, whose own families have been touched by this disease. I have found the posters on this board (particularly SnowyLynn, whose postings are always helpful) to be a great resource too. As the days go by, you will also be amazed at your own resourcefulness. Your strength and courage during this difficult time are gifts from your parents, that will let you help them now.