It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Abuse Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 05:26 AM   #1
(female)

bent_halo HB User
Exclamation a warning message for all who have abused anything with tylenol

I recieved a call from a dear and life long friend, who in the past has had several severe medical conditions requireing her to use pain meds.
She has twice in the last 4 years, checked herself into detox, once to kick a Lortab addiction and once to kick an Oxy addiction, from the later she has been 16 months clean.

She went in 4 months ago, for a routine physical, since her last detox, she has always been 100% upfront with her Dr...she did complain of a lack of energy, she is 31 with 2 small boys.

To make a longer story short, they ran some blood work, called her in for a load of additional tests and she is now faceing a liver transplant, they have given her less than 2 years to live, without one.

She has never abused alcohol, just the meds, when she was useing she used heavy, a minimum of 4-40mg oxys a day and 15-25 lortab 10mg, the Dr said that her liver damage is a direct result of all of the tylenol, he informed her, he sees several patients a year with some degree of liver damage from abuseing pain meds....

She had NO symptoms, except for feeling a little more tired than usual....I have followed these posts for a few months now and have seen quite a few make is through the torture of withdrawls, back to the road of living drug free again....I myself have an appointment Monday morning, I can only suggest that if you think there may be liver damage from your DOC, PLEASE, all it takes is a simple blood test to see...

thank you all
Angel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
(male)

NoMore4Me HB User
Re: a warning message for all who have abused anything with tylenol

The main reason I quit is because of the tyl., I was getting worried that I was doing harm to my liver, I was taking about 5-6 Lortab 10.500 for the past 12 years and quit taking them 34 days ago, I did a test a while back and all was good, but taking 10+ per day must be very harmful I would think.
Thanks for sharing your post with us..

day 34 4Me

Old 05-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
(female)

Hollyday HB User

Wow, what a wake-up call......

Anyone who is struggling with meds that include tylenol should print out your post and hang it where they can read it several times a day! We think we are too young for that to happen and it's not true. Also, everyone's body is different and for some people, lesser amounts will do the same damage so don't gauge your risk by comparing amounts. For her, it took 10 - 15 lortabs, for you it might only be 6 - 8.

Actually, I think requesting a liver profile is a good idea for anyone taking pain meds. Let's all promise ourselves that we will get that done and pray that no one else has to hear this terrible news.....

Old 05-29-2005, 05:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

One BIG thing to remember here is that even if your labs come back within the normal ranges, you can still have liver damage,trust me.the only way to really know is to get more invasive testing done such as an ultrasound or CT.You will not see any out of range labs until the liver or kidney damage gets to a certain point.By this time, the damage has been done and is NOT reversable.Soooo, just remeber this the next time you do those ten lortabs a day.i have been through many years of addiction to vicodin and Darvocet and have liver damage but mine is mostly from polycystic kidney disease with liver involvement.I was VERY lucky to have avoided major liver damage from all the enormous amount of tylenol I was taking in.I have many many cysts in both the liver and kidneys but quite amazingly, all of my labs are still within the normal ranges.But that will change as my damage progresses.my son however was not so lucky.He ended up needing a liver transplant five years ago as he was actually born with unDxed damage to his liver,we just did not know it then.It didn't show up until he was 12.believe me, you do not want to go through the horrers of liver failure.Its not pretty.He came as close as you can get to actually dying but without actually stepping through that door.the waiting is the worst.You hope and pray for your name to be at the top of 'the list".just so you know, at any given time, there are approx 80,000 people on that list who are all waiting for that call.Trust me, you don't want to go there.i hope by posting this that at least one of you will take it to heart and really look at what you are doing to your bodies.I hope this does not come across the wrong way.I have been where you are and i know how hard it is to get clean.But when you look at the possibilities of what your future may hold,it makes getting off the drugs a little more hopeful.i really am sorry to hear about your friend Angel.Marcia

Old 05-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #5
(female)

Hollyday HB User

This post should definitely stay at the top.

Thanks "feelbad" for your information - I'm so sorry your son had to go through all that but I'm happy to know he got the transplant and is doing well now. I hope the same happens for you.

This would also be a good time for everyone to flip over their driver's license and see if they have that little box checked off for "organ donor" - you never know what might happen and it might be you saving someone else's life. Talk to your family about it because ultimately THEY will be the ones making the decision. And don't think "well I've abused my body with drugs, my organs won't be any good" because you'd be wrong wrong wrong. Your lungs might give a young woman with cystic fibrosis her first deep breath in years, your eyes might give sight to a blind man who has never seen his childrens' faces... there are a bunch of things on you that are still good!

But, hopefully, your family will not need to make that decision, NOR wait by the phone praying for an organ for you. We have to stop poisoning our bodies now.

Old 05-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

happyelf HB User

If your liver problems are from Acetaminophen it WILL show up in your liver enzymes--other diseases may not. I just went thru this in March, and was lucky enough to be placed at the top of the transplant list. It does get ugly at this point. But Acet toxicity can be reversed--IF the damage is ONLY from that--no other factors. My #'s were 3900/7900 (when normal range is 0-40/0-65) while in a coma-now they are in the high 100's-but that's good for me. They drop a tiny bit every time I get labs done.

This thread need to stay alive-it's a worthy subject with some great advice from ppl who have seen the effects.... Please, please remember--anything you eat and drink and breathe goes thru your liver. It takes 24hrs for your liver to process 1-2 pills you take every 4- 6 hrs. Imagine what 15 + can do. If you take 15-20 of anything you'll have problems, but Acet is DEADLY--and quickly....w/in 72 hrs. If you're predisposed to a kidey or liver disease you will do unreversable damage and won't know it until there's a problem--as in Marcia's son's case. I know how hard it is to kick a habit--please get help if you need it while you're still around to get it. I'm an organ donor--have been for 25 yrs-since I began driving--but funny, 4 mos after I renewed I became the one in need.
Check the liver boards if you have any ?'s about what this can do to your body. Marcia and Angel...will keep your son and your friend in my thoughts and prayers. Hollyday-Love that you're an advocate for Organ donation! Keep up the good work!! Nomore4me--Hang in there--you're doing great!!!I admire your strength and will to succeed against this demon!! One day at a time.
Gina

Old 05-30-2005, 05:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Thanks for the kind words guys.it is sooo very true,you never know just when an organ will be needed.My husband and I had always been designated donors before my son even became sick.I never ever thought when my son was born(he was as healthy as a horse and stayed this way until all of the sudden,while at school one day six years ago ,started vomiting blood)our nightmare was an inherited problem that we were just not aware of or prepared for.honestly, you just never know what is going on inside your body until it just happens one day and you are thrust into a world that you never ever want to be in.i hope someone out there will read this thread and make the decision to stop abusing their bodies.And if you are not currently a designated donor.please inform yourself and then sign up and PLEASE discuss this with your families.That really IS the big thing here,let people know just what you want to do in the event that somthing happens to you.This will also make any decisions made by your family much more easy on them.The child that donated the liver to my son,was also able to save at least six other lives.God, that is just soo amazing.like was stated in an earlier post, don't think that just because you don't think you are healthy enough that you would not make a great donor.you would be amazed at what can be done.

i'll get off my " box "now.i just really really wanted to let you know the huge downside of continuing to go on and on with your addictions.We keep saying,'i'll just do a nice slow taper,that will be the easiest way to go for me"(and it goes on and on and on...) ,"I'll start tomorrow","Well, i screwed that up,lets try it again".you just need to make up your mind that this is something that has to be done now!If you feel you cannot do it alone,then by all means, get yourself to a good treatment facility for some help.i ended up going this route as I knew trying to break this very strong hold the drugs had on me was not going to work with me trying to do it alone at home,(had been there,didn't work)I NEEDED the help and the support of other people.I also did this while trying to raise very young children with a husband who was not the most supportive person in the world.But you have to put yourself first.And just keep telling yourself that it just HAS to be done.You are also doing this for the people who love you and care about you and that want you to stick around for awhile,you know?Besides that, aren't you just getting sooo incredibly tired of all that is involved in keeping up your ever increasing supply of meds?That gets sooo old sooo fast.i felt just so exhauseted by the time I went and got the help I so desperately needed.

Just something to think about.I'll move along now, i promise.I hope you all have a great day,and really think about just what needs to be done to help get you back on track again.Just remember, you were surviving quite nicely before the pills, and you can do it again.you are much stronger than you think you are you know?Marcia

Old 05-30-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
(female)

Hollyday HB User

~ I just want to keep this bumped up for everyone ~

Old 05-30-2005, 08:17 PM   #9
(female)

bent_halo HB User

THANK YOU ALL, so very much, for keeping my friend Kristie in your prayers, she has finally gotten the last $5000 up, to come to Georgia and get her surgery...an additional note...I don't know if this is the case in other states, but she is on Medical, state aid insurance in California, and because she has checked herself into detox twice at her own expense, they will no longer cover even motrin for her on their script plan AND, she recently went in and had a 3 mm cancerous tumor removed from her bladder, her Dr said it was totally contained and she wont even require chemo or radiation, just a check up every 3 months for 2 years, but because of this, the state of California, DENIED her a place on their list for a liver transplant!!!!...she has to go to Georgia, the cheapest hospital she could find, that would consider her for transplant surgery and will be required to pay $15,000 up front and all medical bills afterwards.

Please continue to pray for her and her Family, her name is Kristie, her husband Jeremy and sons Christopher and Ian...
Thank you all so much, AGAIN
Angel

Old 05-31-2005, 04:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is really unbelievable,and so sad.I know when they first considered the transplant for my son we were told"pending the okay from the insurance co, he would be placed on the list".it is not an automatic thing.luckily our ins co has really been been wonderful with regard to covering my sons Tx and also my many many medical issues.But all of this basically boils down to the fact that there just is not enough organs to go around so the guidelines are very very strict.You all can help to change this.I sure hope things will work out for your friend.You know, there are medication assistance programs that are availiable to your friend that she could check into.Just go to the web page of the med manufacturer and they should have some sort of area there that tells about what they offer.I am sure she is having to already pay a fortune for her pre Tx meds now and will have to be on a lifetime of different antirejection meds once she actually recieves the Tx.They can be quite expensive to be on everyday for the rest of her life.My son is currently taking five different meds.she should also have a transplant co ordinator through the hospital that she will be having the Tx done.This is her contact person and the one that can answer her many questions.This person can give her info on the many drug programs out there.Just have her contact this person.please keep me posted,k? I will be saying a prayer for your friend.What is her current status on the list?It would be something like status 3A 2B...just curious.marcia

Closed Thread