It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Abuse Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2003, 07:22 AM   #1
(female)

zusanna HB User
Exclamation He's being abused and neglected, what do we do???

My 6 year old nephew is being abused and neglected by his Mother. She has 4 kids all together and is completely incapable of raising kids. She's not all there in the head(I have no idea what my brother was thinking when he was with her). Anyway we think the world of Mason (my nephew). He's been being abused and neglected for a long time now. They live in a house that should be condemned, with cat's and dog's everywhere that just go on the floor. You can actually smell this house when you drive by from the road it smells that bad. They have no food in the house and the kids are going hungry. Mason's 12 year brother is a little psycho, seriously this kid has major mental problems. We worry about Mason being around him too. This house also has no power or hot water. When she actually let's him come to our house (me and my parent's, his grandparent's) He has bumps and bruises all over him. We've heard from numerous sources that she beats on him all the time. And she blames my parent's for his behavior because she thinks they are trying to turn him against her, which they are not!! Oh, it irks me SO bad that she is blaming them!!! Mason went to school the other day and told his teacher that he was tired, hungry, and they have no power at their house. They asked my parent's to come in and talk to them so they did and they talked like they are going to try to work with her and give her another chance!! They've given her WAY too many already. And she CANNOT be worked with. She's like talking to a brick wall. I cannot count the times she's been turned in to DCFS, by us and many others. They do nothing!!!! They give her a month or so to get the place cleaned up and they say they are going to come back and inspect and talk to her, but they never do!! They just ignore it. We are from Illinois, and I swear in this state nothing is done about child abuse until the child is dead or severely hurt! What do we do?? We HAVE to get him out of there before it is too late. Please, any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 07:58 AM   #2

911_mom HB User
Question

Have you tried going to the police? Ask them for a well-being check on your nephew and when they see the conditions, the officer should call DCFS himself (or herself ) Maybe if DCFS actually hears it from them, they'll do something about it! Good Luck, I hate to think of that little boy and those other kids suffering!

Old 09-28-2003, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran

beanies31 HB User
The squeeky wheel gets the grease. Keep bugging DCFS everyday. If your getting nowhere with the social worker go to their supervisor. I work closely with the ministry here in Canada and sometimes the same thing happens, kids just get swept under the rug. Do not let this happen to your sweet nephew. I would phone them,write them letters everyday. Good Luck to you and please keep us posted on how it;s going

Old 09-28-2003, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran

momof3mjt HB User
I feel so bad for you and your family. To think there are 4 kids going through this and it probably seems to them that No one is helping them. That must be hard.
In California, when you work with children in ANY CAPACITY. Especially daycare and teachers, you are MANDATED to report ANY suspected child abuse or neglect. We can lose our job, or be prosecuted if we don't. That is horrible that the school has not taken this further. I agree with the poster that said to call the police. Right now. Even if you have to go down there and talk to someone specifically. I would also tell them that you are going to call social services Tomorrow morning as soon as they open and ask for a supervisor. Get neighbors to write letters, call and complain, and MAKE YOURSELF known.

For like another wise post stated here...the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I hope that you will carry this out for ALL the children in that house...follow through until you know they are ALL safe. I know you are worried about your nephew, but those other kids are his brothers/sisters too.

take care.
Lindy

Old 09-28-2003, 02:25 PM   #5

teresa26 HB User
where is your brother when all of this is going on? why does he not have custody of mason? it definitely sounds like this woman needs to be reported.

Old 09-28-2003, 03:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User
Why doesn't your brother file for custody of his son? That way, he could let the court know how his son is living & being treated. They will check it out if she tries to deny it, won't they?? Other than that, you should most deffinitely continue to call DCFS untill something IS done. Like another poster said, you could also call the police. If they get involved, I am sure DCFS won't ignore their claims.

Good luck to your nephew & hopefully he gets out of there soon!

Old 09-28-2003, 10:28 PM   #7

911_mom HB User
Piscean~Please let us know how it's going. I'm worried about the kids!

Closed Thread