It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Abuse Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

jakes1mom HB Userjakes1mom HB User
having nighmares about abusive xhusband.

For 11 yrs i was ina terribly abusive marriage. I finally got the courage up to leave. Thanks to GOD. I really had nobody to help me at the time. I was raped by him, forced to have engage in sex acts with his brother, the stories of this sick man can go on and on. I was 17 yrs old when i got involved with him and he was 30. I was raised in an abusive home, not quite this bad though. The thing is, I am suffering from terrible nightmares now. My life has changed so much for the better. I never went o get help for the abuse i suffered from. But i sure hate these dreams. it must bother me more than i realize huh?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: having nighmares about abusive xhusband.

That was terrible what you had to go through. Even though it has been years and your doing better I'd still seek some counseling. As you said, way back in your mind it is still bothering you.

Maybe if you talk it out the nightmares will end.

All my best of wishes and prayers...JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
jakes1mom (04-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

That happened to me, too, although my Ex wasn't quite as bad as yours. Even 8 years after the divorce, living 1,000 miles away and married to a wonderful man, I'd wake up in the middle of a nightmare that my Ex was in the house. I'd have to reach out and pat my dear husband and remind myself where we were! A co-worker who divorced an abusive man told me she also had those nightmares.

If yours are like mine, they'll fade over time and you'll have fewer of them. It takes a long time to recover from an abusive relationship, even with a supportive family and a good career, both of which I had. You don't really realize what it was doing to your brain till you get away. My mother says I'm a different person now. I hope that happens for you, too.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

jakes1mom HB Userjakes1mom HB User

Thanks so much for the advice. I do hope it'll get better. I am now talking with a professional. I had and still have alot to deal with. I really didn't think, that it would haunt me for so long. I dont want to be 70 yrs old and having those horrific nightmares. So yea, im going to someone who I think can help me greatly. I am so sorry for your past problems. And so glad that you have over came the things that you had to deal with. It's women like yourself who give me the courage to leave. thanks again

Closed Thread