It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Abuse Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

Nellykins HB User
Ummm

I don't really like publically talking about this so I'm gonna ask some... discreet advice, two years ago a bad patch that lasted 3 years ended, I've only recently been able to tell close friends and family what really happened, the whole two years I've been with a psychiatrist but I've never been able to tell him what really happened, I'm comfortable with him, I like him, we joke around, he's like a friend, but I need to know if talking to a professional really helps?

I am still affected by what happened, and it still affects my life, I need to know from your own experience if talking to a professional helps? If so I might consider making another appointment with my psychiatrist and telling him... but it won't be easy so I'd rather avoid if it'll lead nowhere...

what kind of support do they offer?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Nellykins
iluv (10-07-2011), jillian4 (10-06-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Ummm

Hello Nellykins,

While telling family and friends that are close to you may provide comfort,from a supportive standpoint;showing sympathy,empathy or both.

Your therapist on the other hand can provide professional advice from a learned viewpoint of the human condition.

Please realize that although you have a wonderful rapport with your therapist,the relationship is a categorized as doctor/patient.

He is there to provide help with what ails your psyche and can only provide therapeutic intervention based on the information you divulge.

Don't be afraid that the relationship will change;know that it will,for the better.

He will approach your situations in as "comfortably professional" a manner as he previously has..........

in a confidential setting.

Please consider this;your quality of life depends on it.

Sincerely and Respectfully
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Hi Nellykins,

I love your username.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through traumatic experience. I have extreme trauma in my past, and can tell you that opening up to trustworthy persons is the only way to let it drain out and heal. It makes us sick when we hold it inside. It makes everything we see discolored by the trauma. It is so not fair but it is how the brain works. No matter how far back we shove the subject, it is the lens through which we look at life.

It can take awhile to find the right people to trust with your story, but don't be discouraged. There is no way to know for sure in advance, but if anyone reacts negatively, then you know that isn't a safe person. There is a great book called Safe People, I think. We do need to learn who to trust.

I personally have found psychiatrists to be more into medicating and managing mood, rather than taking hours to listen and walk through my emotions with me to help me learn why I have them. It's not because those doctors don't care, but is because of the limits of that medical discipline.

Over the years I have been seen by psychiatrists and many different counselors. I was always looking for help. But I had the very best therapy with a psychologist. I chose to have two two-hour sessions a week, and I came to know and understand myself better and now I know what I am dealing with in myself. He also helped with providing resources to help myself like books and seminars. He never told me what to feel or try or how to deal with anything. His support increased my confidence that I could live with what happened to me and go on with my life. I have been doing so ever since.

I never did want to live on medications, and with the psychologists help I don't have to. There is no understanding like what we can learn to give ourselves.

More power to you for considering to reach out for help!

Last edited by jillian4; 10-06-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Personally, from someone who's dealt with childhood abuse, physical, verbal, mental, molestation, BiPolar for 24 yrs., self harm issues...YES talking to a professional pdoc, tdoc, counselor whichever does help. It helps just to get the "stuff" out of your brain and somewhere else. It helps to have a totally neutral party verify and quantify that you didn't do anything wrong, you didn't deserve what happened to you, it helps just to have someone else understand what you've been through, so you don't feel so all alone all the time...someone who won't judge you or be horrified.....It helps alot.

I wish you well and hope that you are able to heal and confide in your pdoc.

Take care,

Kat

Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

Nelly I too am sorry for what you are going through now. The things that I have been exposed to since I was very very young are hard to deal with. Although you may be able to talk about some of them to friends and family so many others I did not to comfortable talking about. I am 41 years old, I still have severe nightmares. So many times I wish I had handled things differently. I have always just told myself that I got it and I can handle it.

Well let me tell you how well I've handled it. So many of those things that I thought were gone, well I had to go to a Psychiatrist for disability the other week. I had no clue that the issues from 30+ years ago were still beating me up til I had that little visit. Now I'm not sure about how many times I've allowed my past to determine my descisions. What I do know is I should've seeked help a long time ago. So if you have a chance now to be able to work this out, I beg you to. Life is much harder carrying all of those skeletons and all of that hurt around everyday. The worst part is I'm not even sure how much of all of that has affected those that I love that didn't know what I went through. Even worse now, everything I thought I was over, I'm finding out that I'm really not and I've been lying to myself for many years.

Please do what's best for yu now, so you may have a brighter future

Closed Thread