It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Abuse Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

AdorkablyCute1 HB User
Unhappy From Sibling Rivalry to emotional abuse

I am 25 years old and in the process of making the transition from home into my fiances apartment. I'm the middle of three children in a middle-low class family. I have always felt "ganged up on" with my siblings and seem to be cut out of family activities.

In the last 4-5 years, it seems to have gotten worse. In high school, I was bullied a lot and mixed with my hyperthyroidism, my weight has been a problem. I'm 5'3 and weigh 220 lbs. It became a running joke with my younger brother when he signed me up to receive pamphlets on dieting and weight loss camps. Even though it was obvious it hurt my feelings, the taunting continued and I'm still receiving pamphlets every so often.

Not to mention I've been called names and he tells me I smell, and has even gone as far as to refer to my fiance and me as "Shrek & Fiona". It's really put a damper on what was left of my self-esteem.

There are many nights I hide in my room and cry, and I look forward to any excuse that I don't have to be at my parents house to avoid the remarks. I know most people say "oh sibling rivalry is normal" or "don't let it bother you, he's kidding". But it doesn't feel like a joke to me, and no one besides my fiance & I seem to take it seriously.

Is this just petty sibling rivalry or is my fiance right, that its emotional & verbal abuse... if it abuse, is there anything I can do to make it stop, since No one backs me up in the house.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: AdorkablyCute1
Phoenix (02-24-2013), sjb (02-24-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: From Sibling Rivalry to emotional abuse

Greetings Adorkablycute1! I am sorry about all this, my deepest sympathy and Welcome to the Abuse support health boards! May the desired support for this problem be obtained. Peace, sjb

Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, Yes this is verbal and emotional abuse. Family has to be a source of love and support and if it is not, there is a problem. I think cutting ties with your family for awhile would be your best choice and concentrate on your relationship with your fiances. Hope you find the happiness you deserve........

Old 03-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
(female)

shec123 HB User

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I agree with lenvegas. This is definitely emotional and verbal abuse.

I know how you are feeling. My older brother has always been emotionally abusive, arrogant towards me. It escalated recently when he had a few drinks and physically assaulted me. My parents didn't really care he did this to me. I have very little contact with them.

I would say take a good long break from your family and try to move in with your fiancé asap. Surrounds yourself with good, loving, supportive people.

Please keep us updated.

Closed Thread