It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Abuse Support Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
(female)

Chowchow HB User
Relationship advice after verbal abuse

I'm 1 year out of a 3 year abusive engagement relationship. I have found a great guy who is a known acquaintance for many years and very kind.
We've been dating for 5 months and I'm having major trouble with trust, abandonment, and generally feeling okay about voicing any concerns during the relationship. I feel scared when I have no reason to be.
My therapist says this is normal and will change with time but my boyfriend is frustrated now. I don't want to tell him what happened to me in much detail as he world with my abuser. I'm afraid he'll have a reaction or not believe me.
Has anyone been through something similar or have any practical suggestions? I don't want to lose a great guy. But I'm acting so erratically I wouldn't blame him for leaving at this point.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: Relationship advice after verbal abuse

Hi, even if you are not, you must portray yourself as a strong and confident woman. Stop discussing your insecurities with your current guy, it is a complete turn off. If he shows even the smallest amount of abuse then head for the exit. Your therapist is wrong, these feelings will not automatically change in time, but they will if you work hard to change them. Men will only abuse women if the women in their lives let them so be strong, have fun with your new guy and strive to be happy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply