It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

My LPR cure

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2016, 03:56 AM   #1
Jay689
(male)

Jay689 HB User
My LPR cure

Hi all,

I thought about the posts that I use to make. Its been a few years. A question would come up was that if someone gets cured - they are unlikely to return to the board and talk about it.

So I always remembered this. So I am back to tell.

I am going to try and keep this really simple.

Swimming.

I swim alot. I swim Monday to Friday for 1 hour.

I believe that the deep breathing and the exercise on the lungs does something.

The LPR cough is always something that I think about that has vanished and the throat clearing.

When I first started swimming, it helped but I struggled at swimming when I started (i.e. the fitness of it). I only experienced a vanishment of symptons since I started to make some serious advances on the my swimming stamina. Its been about 2 years now (as in serious swimming and free of LPR).

When you have been swimming lots and lots - you can take in a huge deep breath - and that fantastic feeling when you release the breath and there is no cough.

I always found interesting, even when I first started out swimming that I would never cough in the act of swimming.

When I chat on the phone, traditionally I would get nervous when I need to interject. I think about now how I take breaths upon breaths (i.e. when nervous) and its just so easy because of the swimming. The chest feels strong and it just feels good.

Let me finally say this. I have gone up in weight. I was a 12.5 stone skinny person and now I am 14 stone.

I can eat what I want.

I tried the diets and cutting out of foods. It did nothing for me.

I have since added little things. I have given up coffee and I meditate.

But Swimming is the main thing.

A question you may be thinking is - do I get relapses? Yes. I did at Christmas. I was eating and not swimming. I felt the Symptoms begin to return. It starts with throat clearing when I talk. However, soon as I returned back to work and was in my routine of swimming - the symptoms quickly went.

I will be honest, the one thing I always still struggle with is talking in a nightclub or driving on a hands free on the motorway. The background noise means that I have to shout or talk louder (I obviously tense up somehow). Other than this - its fine. You know its fine because you forget about it all......

I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
rainbowsrock
Senior Veteran
(female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User
Re: My LPR cure

Thanks for coming back. it's always great to read success stories

Old 02-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
Whiskers2000
(female)

Whiskers2000 HB UserWhiskers2000 HB User

Thanks so much for telling how you're doing. So happy for you Jay! Did you have any surgery? Hugs!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
lagger
(female)

lagger HB User

Your comment about talking in a loud place is one of my main symptoms. I was diagnosed with mild GERD and the GI said I might have some LPR. When I read the symptoms of LPR, it doesn't seem to be what I have. I'm on Nexium, and have done great with it. I did wean off for a couple months. When I have felt good on Nexium, or good not taking meds, one of the main things that I notice is if I suddenly say something loud, shout, try to talk loudly....a shot of acid comes up fast and hits the back of my throat. I've posted this on forums and nobody has commented. What are your thoughts/why does this happen? Thanks!!! Glad you came back to report!

Old 03-01-2017, 05:07 AM   #5
Jay689
(male)

Jay689 HB User

Hi all,

Just checking in. I just wondered if anyone has tried taking on my advice and tried giving swimming a real shot (to try and help their symptoms).

I still remain in a good place.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
posttibtend
(male)

posttibtend HB User

Dear Jay689,

I am very happy to have read your post. I have suffered with LPRD for a year now. I had all of the tests: esophageal pH monitoring, endoscopy, manometry, and a Barium x-ray test. The tests didn't showed much really, no confirmation of LPRD. But every morning I get up with all the symptoms, and about an hour after each meal, same thing. Gaviscon with alginic acid helps, but only a bit. Now I have symptoms through most of the day (all the typical symptoms of LPRD). I have used PPI's and other alternative med.s but to no avail. I plan to see a otolaryngologist soon.

I do not have access to a swimming pool but would like to try what I can with your suggestion. You mentioned deep breathing and exercise. So perhaps I can try exercise without swimming, like pilates, yoga, but try to get the exercise intense, the heart rate up and the breathing deep. I meditate a lot. If I had access to a swimming pool and used it, I think it would also help some musculoskeletal and foot issues I have, but that is for another life time, I think : )

Anyway, thank you for your post. If you have any other suggestions I would be happy to hear. It is wonderful to know of people curing themselves of incurable diseases by doing something so simple as being healthy : )

Many blessings

Last edited by posttibtend; 03-19-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:31 AM   #7
Jay689
(male)

Jay689 HB User

Thanks for the reply.

Just to let you know that I do other exercising as well such as High Intensity Interval Training (which is just a modern phrase for circuit training) BUT I do it ALONGSIDE SWIMMING.

In the past: I have also played competitive sports throughout my LPR problems. I remember how I could still have a coughing/ LPR attack whilst doing these "land based" type activities WHILST NOT SWIMMING.

Swimming is the only thing.

I make sure that I never neglect Swimming. That is the key. Its fine for me to do other exercise alongside swimming, but Swimming must be the priority always.

Once you swim and take it up seriously: one knows that the feeling in the chest you get is like no other exercise. Your chest simply feels bigger/more powerful.

I would personally make the effort to make a journey to a swimming pool if it meant resolving the problems.

FYI I dont take any medication. I did in the past - tried lots of things. None worked. Chopping and changing food - didn't work. I now eat what I want.

Good luck.
J

Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
MarcBrolin
(male)

MarcBrolin HB User

I will try that, I've reached that point in which I do not know what to do anymore.

I will swim for one month, 6 days of the week for one hour. Let's see how that goes.

Last edited by MarcBrolin; 03-21-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:35 AM   #9
Jay689
(male)

Jay689 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBrolin View Post
I will try that, I've reached that point in which I do not know what to do anymore.

I will swim for one month, 6 days of the week for one hour. Let's see how that goes.

Give it 6 months!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jay689 For This Useful Post:
MarcBrolin (03-23-2017)
Reply Reply