It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

I quit Prilosec cold turkey for 2 weeks, Ooops!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
seajaysc

seajaysc HB User
I quit Prilosec cold turkey for 2 weeks, Ooops!

I've been so sick for a month now. I've been on Prilosec "Omeprazole " for over 10 years. I was taking it originally for acid reflux. It worked so I never thought anything about it and added it to my morning vitamin regimen. 20mg once a day in the morning.
About a month ago I felt a pain in my lower left abdominal area. I freaked out and thought I had cancer or something, so I got the bright idea of quitting my Prilosec. "It ended up being a pulled upper groin muscle during golf." Well that's when my personal hell began. I didn't notice anything the first couple of days. Within 5 days I started feeling sick, nausea, bloating, constipation and stomach pains all over, totally fatigued, no strength left. I couldn't eat at all no appetite. Total anxiety along with other strange pains in my body, legs shoulders, arms. I truly feel like I'm dying. I was ready to kill myself, that's how bad I feel. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until my 2nd week of this horrible experience. I'm laying in bed thinking what did I do different and it dawned on me. So I jump up and Google quitting Prilosec cold turkey and then I knew I screwed up. I immediately take 2 Prilosec pills. I started back on them daily. I've gone to the ER twice. Every time I eat something halfway solid I get sick about an hour or 2 later. My doctor really isn't any help, she was uniformed about quitting it like that. She told me to continue taking the Prilosec and she prescribed Sucralfate, every 4 hours. It's a acid neutralizer and coats your stomach and if you have ulcers it helps protect them from getting worse and heal. I'm scheduled to have a endoscopy tomorrow morning. I think I damaged my whole digestive tract with too much acid for those 2 weeks. I'm still sick as a dog and can barely get out of bed. I didn't have any of these symptoms until I quit the Prilosec. I've been back on the Prilosec for almost 2 weeks and the Sucralfate for almost a week. Is there any hope of recovery?

The following user gives a hug of support to seajaysc:
movielover40 (06-29-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
Re: I quit Prilosec cold turkey for 2 weeks, Ooops!

Those PPI's are a crutch.

I've been on Protonix for about 3 years now. Every time I quit I wind up going back on it.

Best of luck with your Endoscope. Always keep some antacids with you. Try taking some Zantec at bedtime also.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
kacyc
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Wow, they are all signs of going off omeprazole cold turkey. Many people get acid rebound, but there are many other symptoms and sounds like you had most of them.

You can go back on the meds (same dose) and wait until you normalise to how you were. That should not take long. Or, you can stay off them and you will get over those symptoms, but you may get acid rebound and feel bad for a few weeks, or longer. Or you can increase your dose to cope with the increase in symptoms, but I would not recommend this option as you will then become dependent on the higher dose; You can switch to a ranitidine drug instead to help you quit the omeprazole as ranitidine is supposed to be less addictive than omeprazole. Or you can go back on it, wait until you feel better and then try to come off again, only this time don't go cold turkey.

If it was me, and i knew what I now know (having gone through it) I would stay off it, sit it out and you will get better quicker. But, some people can't do this (I was one of them!).

What ever way you go, hope you feel better soon.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
rainbowsrock
Senior Veteran
(female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

What happened to you happened to me
I was told not to take my Omeprazole dor 10 days prior to an endoscopy and then the endoscopy showed gastritis of the stomach and Duodenum....caused I am positive by stopping the omeprazole
My symptoms were bloating nausea and pain
I then had to take a higher dose to heal the damage (for 2 months) after which I dropped the dose back down
Like another poster said I have tried to come off them several times and eventually gone back on
I am on 10mg once a day now and when I feel confident enough I will try to come off once and for all

Observe all self help
Sleep on Left side
Raise head of bed on 6" blocks
Don't eat too late in the evening
Avoid food triggers
Chewing gum is good for promoting saliva which neutralises the acid in the mouth

But if as I suspect you have Gastritis I think you should eat very blandly. At my worst I just had rice pudding
Another thing that helped me was to have a large tumbler of warm, not hot, water which I felt flushed the acid out of the stomach

There is light at the end of the tunnel. If you want to come off PPI'S when you feel better do it very gradually. I do it by opening the capsules and reducing the little balls, very slowly
Be warned when you're off them you have to be very sensible with diet
I rate liquid Gaviscon Double Action. It forms a raft over the contents of the stomach

Good luck

Last edited by rainbowsrock; 07-08-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
Polo30
(male)

Polo30 HB User

I have been on 40mg daily for 6 years. I have tried numerous times to get off of it. What finally worked was addressing the stress (emotional connection) connection to acid reflux. This is what worked for me:

Read The Divided Mind by Dr John Sarno. This is critical. You have to change how you think about your acid reflux pain.

After each drop in dosage you will have 2 or 3 hard days at around Day 7 - 10. Use Zantac or the like to weather the storm. Your body is adjusting. All will be well

Month one. Alternate 40/day with 20/ day. Zantac as needed.

Month two: 20 / day. Zantac as needed.

Month three: alternate 20/day and 10/day. Zantac as needed.

Month four: 10 per day.

Month five. Discontinue use.

The acid lets you know when you are stressed. Listen to your body. Yoga. Take a walk. Get outside of your mind and your worries. This worked for me.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
danabarb
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajaysc View Post
I've been so sick for a month now. I've been on Prilosec "Omeprazole " for over 10 years. I was taking it originally for acid reflux. It worked so I never thought anything about it and added it to my morning vitamin regimen. 20mg once a day in the morning.
About a month ago I felt a pain in my lower left abdominal area. I freaked out and thought I had cancer or something, so I got the bright idea of quitting my Prilosec. "It ended up being a pulled upper groin muscle during golf." Well that's when my personal hell began. I didn't notice anything the first couple of days. Within 5 days I started feeling sick, nausea, bloating, constipation and stomach pains all over, totally fatigued, no strength left. I couldn't eat at all no appetite. Total anxiety along with other strange pains in my body, legs shoulders, arms. I truly feel like I'm dying. I was ready to kill myself, that's how bad I feel. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until my 2nd week of this horrible experience. I'm laying in bed thinking what did I do different and it dawned on me. So I jump up and Google quitting Prilosec cold turkey and then I knew I screwed up. I immediately take 2 Prilosec pills. I started back on them daily. I've gone to the ER twice. Every time I eat something halfway solid I get sick about an hour or 2 later. My doctor really isn't any help, she was uniformed about quitting it like that. She told me to continue taking the Prilosec and she prescribed Sucralfate, every 4 hours. It's a acid neutralizer and coats your stomach and if you have ulcers it helps protect them from getting worse and heal. I'm scheduled to have a endoscopy tomorrow morning. I think I damaged my whole digestive tract with too much acid for those 2 weeks. I'm still sick as a dog and can barely get out of bed. I didn't have any of these symptoms until I quit the Prilosec. I've been back on the Prilosec for almost 2 weeks and the Sucralfate for almost a week. Is there any hope of recovery?
I had acid reflux years ago; started taking aloe vera and it was gone, but due to some stress, it recently returned. I went to an acupuncturist and it is almost, if not gone, within two to three visits. When I first came down with it, the gusto man put me on a drug, which only worked for so long. When I told him it had stopped working, he told me to take two. I came home, did some research on the Internet and discovered aloe vera would help. Immediately, his pills were tossed.

Reply Reply