It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Prevacid, Nexium, Zantac, Prilosec....which one is the best?

I would love to hear which one works best for you and how often and for how long you take it!

Thanks everyone!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to singer1 For This Useful Post:
smsmith1 (03-06-2012)
Old 11-13-2004, 07:50 PM   #2

Tick Tock HB User
Re: Prevacid, Nexium, Zantac, Prilosec....which one is the best?

All the stuff I have read seems to show that Nexium is the best. I have used Prilosec, Zantac, Prevacid, Aciphex and Protonix at various times in the past. I used them to help avoid problems when I take NSAIDs. My wife has had GERD for several years and now takes Nexium with good results.

She had stopped responding to Prilosec and Prevacid so Nexium was the next choice.

Zantac and Prilosec are OTC now. You should be able to try those and see how you do. All except Zantac are PPI - proton pump inhibitors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2004, 07:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

I was max doses of Protonix. Didn't really help. Now I'm on Nexium twice daily and it work excellent for me.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Isn't Nexium only once a day? How long can people be on the Nexium at one time?

Old 11-16-2004, 06:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

I am to take twice a day. Thats what my doctors have me on. I've been on it for about 3 months now. They plan to keepme on it for awhile yet.

Old 11-16-2004, 09:04 AM   #6

trapley HB User

To be honest if you have severe cases, none of them really work that well.I have been on every popular one and none of them worked for me. Upon the recomendation of others on the bords I strated taking Magnessium oxide and It works wonders for me.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:19 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

TJN HB User

You can't tell how severe GERD is by symptoms . Often the symptoms are much worse than what the test results indicate .

Everyone reacts differently to PPIS -- it's an individual thing. One person may have great results on one particular drug-- but that same drug may not help another person at all. It's trial and error.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:59 AM   #8

Hapbob HB User

Just to add to the disscussion I was on em all but now Aciphix and that seems to work best for me? Any others?
HAp

Old 12-06-2004, 05:59 PM   #9

sarah1000 HB User

From what i've heard, there is no best one for everyone, each formulation is a little different and each person responds differently to the meds. I tried them all and protonix was the only one that actually worked for me. \

I would recommend asking your doc for samples before you fill a scrip. I filled a scrip for prilosec, nexium and one other before i got to protonix, that's three co-pays before i even got the right med!

Old 12-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #10

tims77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapley
To be honest if you have severe cases, none of them really work that well.I have been on every popular one and none of them worked for me. Upon the recomendation of others on the bords I strated taking Magnessium oxide and It works wonders for me.
How much magnesium oxide are you taking? I'm taking 250mg a day along with Nexium (40mg) and was getting great relief from symptoms. Now, however, the GERD symptoms are coming back. I'm just curious if you were taking mega doses of the magnesium oxide.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

no, not taking any of that.

Old 12-30-2004, 06:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I've been on Prevacid, Nexium, Prilosec, and Zantac (not to mention about a million other stomach meds). All these meds, except Zantac, are proton pump inhibitors. My doctor said they are all very similar, but slightly different, and all good. He said whatever works for you is the best. None work for me. Right now I'm on Prevacid 30 mg twice a day, just because my doctor didn't want me off ppis.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:07 PM   #13
(female)

dizzyone HB User

I am on Locec 20mg 1x per day and my symptoms are 90-100 percent gone. Can very a little day to day. Sandra It,s aso a PPI

Old 01-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I'm on my 3rd week of free sample of nexium and so far no relief and I've tried all others. I also have Barrett's esophagus with no cell changes thank heavens but at this rate of no healing what next? Surgery is the last option and I've tried all the pills along with all the otc to go with them. It's caused small damage to my air ways, lungs, throat and who knows what else after only 6 months of it. I hope Dr gives me more free samples.....I don't want to pay through the nose for something that doesn't work.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:14 AM   #15
(female)

MDB HB User

I have been on Nexium for about a month now. I have a hiatal hernia and the gerd symptoms associated with it. I went to a chiropractor to try to see if he could massage it down as described in another post. This particular person didn't seem to know how to do it and I was wasting alot of $ in just copays. The nexium seems to be working but I'm worried about the long term use of it. I get some stomach pain but I don't know if its the Nexium or my diet. Has anyone been on this for a long time without any negative side effects? I just turned 40 and I hate to have to be on this for the rest of my life. Any Suggestions....MDB

Closed Thread