It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 06:06 AM   #1
Inactive

Simon Clarke HB User
Desperately need info on long-term Ranitidine use

I've suffered from GERD since I was 21 (I'm now 38) and virtually the whole time have been on Ranitidine. General consensus of information from the web and my Doctor is that it's perfectly safe for long-term use.

However, I have since found small references that Ranitidine should only be used for a few months, and that long-term use can cause serious mineral deficiencies.

This is of very serious note to me as in the last seven years I have been diagnosed first with Essential Hypertension (high blood pressure for which they can find no cause) and then HypoThyroidism. All this, coupled with panic attacks for the last few years has left me in a mess as I'm sure you can understand!

I have spent many, many hours searching the internet for studies on long term use of this drug but have found nothing. Can someone please help? I have some medical training so a professional/scientific study is ideal.

I'm not looking to sue my Doctor! Just want to try and help myself inbetween bloodtests! Panic Attacks, Hypertension and Thyroid problems have variously been linked to mineral problems, so I'm hoping to find a link.

I have just ordered a private Hair Mineral Analysis but results won't be back until after Christmas.

Thanks and God bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 02:44 AM   #2
(female)

lisa30777 HB User
im looking for info on long term ppi use ?

Last edited by lisa30777; 03-16-2005 at 02:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Desperately need info on long-term Ranitidine use

I was on Rantidine briefly, then switched to PPIs which I have been on for 4 years now. I really don't think there is any problem being on them long term. They are indicated for short term use because many people no longer need meds after that. If you do still need meds- go for it.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #4

Gareth_rogers HB User

Hi - get the book called "why stomach acid is good for you" - it provides many medical studies that show what acid suppression does to people. Ė Asthma /depression/mal-adsorption/sight problems/bacterial infections/constipation/diarrhea/bloating/gas/atrophic gastritis..........etc....

Old 03-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #5

zoot_suit_brian HB User

Well having less stomach makes absorption of food and vitamins and such less efficient.
so i could imagine u might want to consider supplements.

i know i read that B12 is sometimes a problem..they make B12 lozenges, so u can absorb them without using ur stomach.

Last edited by zoot_suit_brian; 03-19-2005 at 09:11 AM.

Closed Thread