It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
(male)

pindy HB User
GERD? cant' eat, heart palpitations, bloating, reflux

I have GERD but also other symptoms:
For about 4 months a noticed I would get more and more bloated after smaller and smaller meals. Feeling bloating, pressure and fullness right under my ribcage.
Then it got worse and I started to feel actual GERD symptoms, like burning, *****ling, fullness in my throat after a meal, worse when lying down. Just like the Nexium commercial, like you have swallowed metal thumbtacks.
Then, it got so I could barely eat anything without more bloating and burning. "Bloat, Burn and Fart" I would call it. It would take about 4 hours to feel normal again.
Then the bloating got so bad that it triggered off a Vasovagal attack: viscious, terrifying spasms that felt like my heart was doing flip flops in my chest, skipping beats, or feeling like a water balloon shaking flopping in my chest. It would go on for hours, often waking me up. I would lay on the floor and shake and spasm, convinced I would die any moment.
I went to the ER: Reflux with esophogeal spasm. Heart checked out fine. Went on Prilosec. No more attacks, BUT....
I still can't eat: I have been living on Ensure and crackers of two weeks now, and have lost 7 pounds. If I even eat 4 spoonfulls of vegeatable soup or the like, I get hard bloating....like my intestines have stopped working. Like they are paralysed. I have to take enemas, massage my abdomen, etc, to try to clear out my gut.
Don't most people on Prilosec or the like just keep on eating a normal amount?
Any ideas out there???? Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 06:01 AM   #2

imvic46 HB User
Re: GERD? cant' eat, heart palpitations, bloating, reflux

Pindy,
What kind of tests have you had run? I did exactly what you are doing and it turned out that I had Gerd and IBS. Once the symptoms of IBS constipation were being treated, the reflux and spasms stopped. I now take Nexium and Miralax every day. I wont waste your time spelling out my symptoms since they look exactly like yours. I would however suggest that you go to see a gastro doctor. I could not eat normal amounts of anything on Nexium alone. No enemas or laxatives were cleaning my colon the way the perscription medication has done. Do you find fibers hard to digest? Does it feel like you are still digesting food, or refluxing it hours after you have eaten? Do the spasms start within 15 min to half hour after you eat? Do you feel a little relief with the enema as far as spasms or reflux? It really sounds like you are dealing with more that one thing here. Let me know how it goes and good luck.
Vic

Old 12-31-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
(female)

Susanbrennan80 HB User

please what does GERD mean

Old 12-31-2004, 08:08 PM   #4
(male)

pindy HB User

GERD: gastro esophogeal reflux disease
Thanks for replying...it really helps to hear from others; the doctors and the medical sites just don't have the detailed descriptions and information that are vital to finding out what the heck is going on!
When things were bad, I would bloat within minutes of eating even small amounts: 15 to 30 minutes could be the start of an attack, if I couldn't get it under control. antacids, Ativan, certain positions on the floor, tylenol, whatever.
Yes, several times now when the bloating would start in bad, several small enemas in a row would give about 40% relief and prevent a major attack.
The feeling of bloating is way down now that I have been on Prilosec for a week. Perhaps some of the feeling is related to the raw, burned tissue, or perhaps another aspect of the vagus nerve hypersensitivity.
One thing I just found helpful is that I was very dehydrated. I found Postum, Molasses and a little cream go down easily. I drank 3 in a row and started to feel better. It makes sense: the bowel contents will seize up if there is not enough liquid to move the stuff along.
I am not familiar with IBS; I'll look it up. Sounds nasty.
Thanks again for the info.

Old 01-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
(male)

Jizzle HB User

Hi Pindy,

You're not alone with your symptoms. You are describing the past 3 weeks that I've had. It's been a nightmare! So far, I've been diagnosed with inflamed bowels and gastritis; however, I'm still waiting for my biopsy report. My chest spasms have curbed in the last week and a half. But I know what you mean when you think you're about to die when you have that sensation. I didn't know that I was having chest spasms until my doctor told me. A couple of times, the bloating and pressure had gotten so bad in my stomach that I thought my stomach was going to burst!

In the last couple of weeks, I've been on Aciphex and I've been taking Phazyme for the boating. As far as eating goes, I've been eating very small meals (big lifestyle change for me). I've been drinking plenty of water, apple juice and grapefruit juice. My appetite has increased somewhat and I'm not as bloated as before.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:36 AM   #6
(female)

vonee HB User
Unhappy Re: GERD? cant' eat, heart palpitations, bloating, reflux

I've been diagnosed with GERD years ago, taking zantac off and on, but my problem now and has been for almost 3 yrs.! First started having spasms in and all over my stomach like I was pregnant. Crazy cause I wasn't ofcourse. Can't get pregnant no more. Anyways, over this past year, although the spasms in my stomach have never stopped, my back has been hurting so bad I can hardly move somtimes. I have nauseau and burning, burping and gas alot. I feel sick all the time! I don't know what in the world is wrong with me now, but I haven't seen a doc for this and it is waking me up at night and I just feel sick to my stomach, have thrown up and have bouts of diarehea alot! I need some input.....pleaz.......

Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
(male)

Jizzle HB User

Ravyn,

What does your diet intake consist of?

Last edited by Jizzle; 01-06-2005 at 10:41 AM. Reason: changed the wording of the sentence

Old 01-15-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Your gerd could be getting worse,or you could be having gall bladder symptoms.Or you could have gerd and ibs.Sometimes they go hand in hand.I have both plus other symptoms.When i have a bad gerd attack the pain goes to my back into my shoulder blade,and then disappears couple hrs later.Take care.

Old 01-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #9
(male)

marko959 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzle
Hi Pindy,

You're not alone with your symptoms. You are describing the past 3 weeks that I've had. It's been a nightmare! So far, I've been diagnosed with inflamed bowels and gastritis; however, I'm still waiting for my biopsy report. My chest spasms have curbed in the last week and a half. But I know what you mean when you think you're about to die when you have that sensation. I didn't know that I was having chest spasms until my doctor told me. A couple of times, the bloating and pressure had gotten so bad in my stomach that I thought my stomach was going to burst!

In the last couple of weeks, I've been on Aciphex and I've been taking Phazyme for the boating. As far as eating goes, I've been eating very small meals (big lifestyle change for me). I've been drinking plenty of water, apple juice and grapefruit juice. My appetite has increased somewhat and I'm not as bloated as before.
I can't imagine that grapefruit juice is helping your gastritis. It's very acidic.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #10
(female)

candykanesc HB User

Hello iam also having trouble with what you guys call the shacking ,feeling in my chest.. But , I do notice that its only when i lay down to go to sleep.. As for the bloating feeling well i always carry that around it feels like all the time.. Some days i cant see my face and belly get so swallon and puffy looking i think iam on my ( period).. but its not time...Also i use to be on prilocec and it did help with the acid some what but never for the blaoting and gas.. iam wondering if they make a twoin one pill for both.. for iam one who hates to take alot of pills.... At first i thought i was having a heart attack are a panick attack.. but your right its just more of a vibrated ,are shacking feeling..... iam over weight , and trying to do stuff about that as we speak.. but this bloating is really getting on my last nerve...so . no we are not alone .. and it always is more helpfull talking to you guys rather than the doctor somtimes cause my doctor is alwasy like humm. ive never herd of that..lol....i will keep you guys updated with it all...

take care!! candykanesc!

Last edited by candykanesc; 02-06-2005 at 02:06 PM.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #11
(female)

TexasCookie HB User

So does the heart palp thing go along with the GERD and IBS combo? I've posted a message here AND on the IBS forum but haven't gotten any replies. I get right handed chest pain with burning, heart palps (cradio says heart is fine) and then I get the D.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
(female)

kscarolyn HB User

This is my first reply on here...but I am just amazed at what I am reading. I have known for years now that I have GERD and hiatal hernia. I also have had episodes of ulcerative colitis and IBS. But I never (nor apparantly did the doctors) really associated all the PVC's and heart arrhythmias with the reflux problem until now. I do have lots of reflux lately, and lots of PVC's again. (I have mitral valve prolaspe, but nothing else structurally wrong with heart) I have problems with many medications so I treat it only with diet and Tums, etc. I read somewhere that apple cider vinegar is an effective treatment for these symptoms. Has anyone tried that?? I do remember that as a child my grandmother gave us vinegar and a touch of baking soda to drink for upset stomach. I thought she was rather old fashioned...but maybe she was just smart after all. I am also diabetic on diet and exercise...but that is another story. Thanks for any input...and have a great day!

Old 02-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #13
(female)

lsmith1 HB User

I have the same thing, someone told me that the correlation is because of the vegus nerve as far as GERD and Hiatal causing PVC's or palpitations they said that it may be aggrevating that nerve causing the palps. Not sure if they were a doctor or not but I have heard this before. DOn't think it has been proven though.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #14
(female)

Dee77 HB User

Vic, how was your IBS constipated treated

Old 07-09-2005, 02:29 AM   #15
(male)

Jacco HB User

THe spasms, I just had another one tonight, I am not diagnosed with anything (yet) my doctor said to just take some ranitidine and not drink coffee or sodas. Tonight I drank a beer and ate a good meal, and bwallloop, a feeling of a water balloon flopping in my chest. Panic set in, and I got sweaty and dragged myself to the bathroom where I calmed down, pain went away, it lasted for only a few seconds. But boy is that scary, I am sooo glad to read this board and know I'm not alone. A lot of good advice here and I need to make lifestyle changes, that I know now. I don't have symptomps as bad as some of you describe, but the burping, gas and bloated feeling, I've had that for a long time, and just took it as part of life. Now I know better! Thank you everyone here.

Closed Thread