It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

rugrats4 HB User
wheezing?

Hi all, I have a question, has anyone ever experienced wheezing with GERD?
If so was it upon inhalation or exhalation? I sometimes wheeze when I breathe in...it is strange however, you cannot hear it but I can feel it. Usually to the left of my stomach along those bottom ribs or right in the center of my chest. Anyone have a clue as to what this might be??
Thanks for your help!

Old 01-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
(female)

Meridith HB User
Re: wheezing?

Do you have asthma? I know that Gerd and Asthma are related to each other sometimes. Maybe you should just have Doc take a listen. Keep me posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

sugarplum_pdx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats4
Hi all, I have a question, has anyone ever experienced wheezing with GERD?
If so was it upon inhalation or exhalation? I sometimes wheeze when I breathe in...it is strange however, you cannot hear it but I can feel it. Usually to the left of my stomach along those bottom ribs or right in the center of my chest. Anyone have a clue as to what this might be??
Thanks for your help!
I have had something similar for over a year and still don't know for sure what it is. Mine is kind of like a gurgle that I can feel rather than hear when I breathe in deeply, but usually only if I'm sitting or lying in a certain position. Doctors can't hear anything when they listen to my chest. I also have a feeling of shortness of breath frequently. I've had chest x-ray, upper GI x-ray, EKG, checked thyroid, etc ... they still don't know. It's very weird.

I still think it's related to a digestive issue though.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
(female)

rugrats4 HB User

Thanks for your replies!!
Meredith, to answer your question, no I have never had asthma. Although my mother who is 70 was diagnosed with it around 5 years ago, so I guess it can happen at any time!
Sugarplum...you hit the nail on the head...it is like a gurgle, no one else can hear it, but I can feel it!!!! Mine seems to always show up the week before or after my period, and then for a couple of weeks nothing, but it sure does scare the h**l out of me when it happens. I do feel better knowing I am not the only one experiencing this.
I was diagnosed with acid reflux in 97, I do not suffer hearbearn, mine is always upset stomach but in the last couple of years lots of chest pain. Was told by a Dr. that it was not my heart, sorry I just realized I'm rambling! Just wanted to say thanks.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Yes I have the same symptoms you describe. I have wheezing when I'm laying down at night. When I first started noticing it, it was like it was in my abdomen and like you I could feel it and not hear it. I went to my doctor so many times and each time he said there is nothing wrong. Then I started to feel it in my chest so I went to a lung doctor thinking there was something wrong with my lungs. She told me it's GERD and it was aspirating into my lungs. She put me on Achipex which seemed to help at first but I am now having wheezing again. I also had an endoscopy which was normal. I went back to my lung doctor last week and she thought maybe I had a touch of mild asthma (even though x-ray was normal) but I really don't think I do. She put me on Clarinex to get rid of post nasal drip (she thought that that may be getting into my lungs also) and I'm still on Achipex. So I'm not sure what's going on at this point but just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

Old 02-06-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

Mom/kids...I have the same and it is worse when I lay down. Seems like I can breathe in ok but it does not all come out and I can hear the wheezing/noises in my throat. I also at times have gurgling white foam come up. I have sinus drainage but I also have Gerd..Started back up on my Nexium again and hope it helps. Good Luck to all.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
(female)

djacks HB User

Just found this site, and was looking for someone who had siimilar symptoms. I have this mild feeling of wheezing in my upper left abdomen...feels like it's just below my stomach. Sometimes I feel it on both intake and breathing out. It's just weird! I do a lot of "gurgling" of gas from my stomach up into my throat...hardly ever really burp. I notice this wheezing both at night and in the daytime...doesn't seem to matter if I'm lying down or upright. Anyone have any ideas or comments? Thanks!

Old 03-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
(female)

rugrats4 HB User

dj,

Wish I could help you but as you can tell by original post, it seems as if we're in the same boat. Mine however is always on inspiration...it is not constant...but a few times a month and it does not matter if I am standing or sitting.

To all of you who posted ... a big "Thank you" sure does help to know I'm not alone

Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
(female)

ejohn20736 HB User

Have any of you ever gotten a diagnosis? I've had these same symptoms for over 3 years and have been through every test they can think of. So far I've been diagnosed with Acid Reflux and IBS but not asthma. Sometimes the wheezing is so bad that it is painful. In fact the area under my left lower ribs is almost always painful. My family doctor has pretty much thrown up his hands and given up on trying to figure it out. The last time I was in his office I saw a PA who tried to give me anti-depresents. I don't think I'm depressed so I refused the perscription. It is comforting to know that there are others with these sames symtoms and that its not "all in my head".

Closed Thread