It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
(female)

peacenlife HB User
Acid Reflux causing shortness of breath

I notice that after I eat I have this burning and shortness of breath sometime I can tell if it's reflux or not. Shortness of breath last for a while then goes away I have a air meter that measure the amount of air in my lungs I always blow a normal reading but the shortness of breath is alway concerning.
Can anyone relate and what do you do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
(male)

jmdombr HB User
Re: Acid Reflux causing shortness of breath

Oh, i get that all the time. I just developed this GERD 3 weeks ago. It hit me hard. the first sypmtoms for me was feeling like my throat was closing up and shortness of breath. I went to the Doc to get my chest pains checked out and everyting was normal. He put me on Aciphex. I took that for 2 weeks, it did nothing. I went back to the doc 2 weeks later and he scheduled me for tests next week at the hospital. He also switched me to Nexium and it has acually started to get better.
I'm only 26 years old!!!

Good luck!

Jeff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Yes, I've had the shortness of breathe for 2 yrs now, had the pulmonary function test last year and it was bad, low numbers, trouble with getting the gases to leave the lungs, it concerned the Dr so he had me come back this year to do it again and my numbers were way up there almost to where I was in 92 when I was a bit younger. The only explanation is that last year I didn't know I was having relux problems other than esophagitis and no treatment. This year I was diagnosed with barrett's esophagus (no cell changes and very mild) and had been taking the nexium for a couple months which would explain the changes in the test. I am a silent refluxer. The GERD is under control most of the time and my pulmonary test turned out much better. I still get the problem now and then but I went 4 months straight with any breathing problems unless if I eat lots of sugary stuff or drink coffee which I do little of now that I know they are one of my triggers. The Dr said acid relux has caused damage to my airways and some scaring on my lungs and I didn't even have heartburn til this last bout. Having anxiety disorder doesn't help any either.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #4
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

I sure can relate. Shortness of breath and wheezing when laying down and constant burning, etc. etc. Had 2 EGD's 2000-2002 and was put on Nexium 40mg. x 2 a day. Caused bad headaches so I dropped back to one 40mg perday. Does anyone wheeze with this. Scarring is seen at the top of the lungs also. I had a heart cath recently and the cath lab nurse said I have the worse case of reflux she has ever seen. (do not remember a thing)
Had some breathing tests and they were noy all that great. I do not want to repeat it in case it is still bad. Enough bad news...

Some nights (not often) I will wake up and canot breathe. I have to stand up and gasp for air until I can catch my breath. Have no idea if this is Gerd.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

GERD can cause asthma. I have asthma. I was dx'ed with GERD 3 years ago, and asthma last year. I'm not sure if what you describe is asthma though, because when I got asthma there was no doubt that it was asthma, my peak flows (which is what I assume the breathing meter you talk about) were low, my pulse oxs have been low when I'm struggling, and asthma meds have definitely helped.

Old 02-09-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

I have bad shortness of breath. It isn't asthma, my peak flow is always good even when I feel really short of breath, and Ive had tests at hospital. Its caused by gerd. I use asthma meds for it at the moment. Im hoping to get it under control with ppis soon!
Hope that helps.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
(female)

kyethra HB User

I have asthma. When I was a teenager I had a horrible time getting it under controll. I saw a great Allergy Asthma doctor who told me I had GERD and that the acid was getting into my lungs and put me on prevacid and sent me to a GI doc.

Asthma was very controllable after that. My asthma is usually under controll unless its hte GERD or an upper respritory infection.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:36 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyH
Yes, I've had the shortness of breathe for 2 yrs now, had the pulmonary function test last year and it was bad, low numbers, trouble with getting the gases to leave the lungs, it concerned the Dr so he had me come back this year to do it again and my numbers were way up there almost to where I was in 92 when I was a bit younger. The only explanation is that last year I didn't know I was having relux problems other than esophagitis and no treatment. This year I was diagnosed with barrett's esophagus (no cell changes and very mild) and had been taking the nexium for a couple months which would explain the changes in the test. I am a silent refluxer. The GERD is under control most of the time and my pulmonary test turned out much better. I still get the problem now and then but I went 4 months straight with any breathing problems unless if I eat lots of sugary stuff or drink coffee which I do little of now that I know they are one of my triggers. The Dr said acid relux has caused damage to my airways and some scaring on my lungs and I didn't even have heartburn til this last bout. Having anxiety disorder doesn't help any either.
Hi

I also just founf out that I have erosive esophagus. I have no pre-cancerous cells. My doctor told me it was just starting, but since about 3 weeks ago, I have been having trouble breathing. I wasn't sure your esophagus could cause this, but I guess it's true. I've even gone in to a heart doctor to make sure it wasn't my heart. I'm waiting for those tests, but the EKG was good.

Let me ask you this.....how long does the breathing trouble last and is it worse when you wake up? My doctor just switched me from Prevacid to Nexium and I also take carafate 3x's a day. It's miserable to feel like this all of a sudden. I feel like I don't want to do anything anymore because I'm so short of breath.

Chantel

Closed Thread