It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 AM   #1

debi2 HB User
nodule in esophagus

I'm 32 with acid reflux started taking protonix about 6 months ago and it works great (though i'd rather not take anything) anyway had an endoscopy about four months ago to make sure reflux hadn't cause any damage. Everything looked fine,, EXCEPT, dr found two nodules in my esophagus, reassured me it was probably nothing, biopsied and came back negative, however he wanted to send me for an ultrasound just to confirm what kind of growth it was. Still at this point referred to it as a nodule. Went for ultrasound and results were growth in submucosal layer possible characteristics of a GIST, which i've since learned stands for gastral instestinal stromal tumor, but nothing definitive. recommendation was to wait a year or two, do repeat ultrasound to check for growth and if growth hasn't occured space out ultrasounds for every couple of years, probably some kind of congential growth. Anyway dr said removal not an option since it's major major surgery which does not put my mind at ease, it's kind of hard to forget theres a possible growth in your throat even though right now it's very very small. Told my primary care and she immediately recommended a 2nd opinion which i go for next week. Anyway i just needed to vent, and wanted to know if anyone has ideas about the kinds of questions i should ask when i go for the second opinion? I feel because of my age and good health they just tell me to not worry about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: nodule in esophagus

I have the exact same nodule. The first time it was discovered was my endoscopy in Sept 2003, the growth got a bit bigger when I had the second endoscopy in Sept 2004, also found I had barrett's esophagus non cirular no cell changes tho and told that the growth will sometimes grow some but it is almost always 99% benign, most of the time they are congenital. I have severe GERD and have had it for 15 yrs, misdiagnosed as having asthma then but recently found out it was my GERD that was giving me asthma symptoms, my last pulmonary function test showed no asthma and inproved pulmonary function compared to a year ago. Taking the Nexium has taken away some of those real bothersome symptoms but it sure is no cure as yet, only been taking it for a month and a half. I wouldn't worry about it too much tho, I did and ended up making my GERD more severe. Anxiety can cause really bad reflux in some people, namely I'm one of them that is affected by stress.

Closed Thread