It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Can food allergies trigger GERD symptoms?

I have always heard that over eating causes Gerd, but can a food allergy cause it also?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
(female)

luvourkids2002 HB User
Re: Can food allergies trigger GERD symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
I have always heard that over eating causes Gerd, but can a food allergy cause it also?
My son has had GERD since birth. His is stemmed from food allergies, 71 to be exact. He has a disorder known as Eosinophilic Disease that causes the body to attack itself.

In my research unless you have an anatomical reason to have reflux it is usually caused by a food allergy or intolerance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 05:47 PM   #3

rids HB User

They thought for over 15 yrs my husband had GERD- and he still had to take many, many tums a day, as well as a stomach acid blocker.

He has celiac disease.... no more gluten- no more "GERD"

C-GA

Old 02-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
(male)

lexxx HB User

How can someone possibly identify if they have a food allergy and which food they are allergic to? I ask because I think I have GERD and am not sure if I am allergic to milk or eggs or whatever, most food products have eggs or milk sneakily put in so I guess I eat eggs and drink milk every day, should I go without both for a time and see how I feel? I don't eat much at the moment as it is cos I am really anxious and have a kind of eating disorder as a result. So I need advise badly, the GERD is really bad for me, makes me feel sick and I get pain in my chest and neck which radiates out to my shoulder blades sometimes. My throat is sore, and burns and it's orrible. My doc says it is stress and anxiety caused, but it gets bad when I am not anxious- often after eating something!

Old 03-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
(female)

storms_refuge HB User

Lexxx,
You can try eliminating all the suspected foods from your diet and then after at least 10 days of that....eat them again, introducing one food back at a time. Give it 3-4 days as you re-introduce the food and then add another until you find the one(s) that seem to trigger your symptoms. Be aware that you will need to vigilantly read food labels to make sure that packaged foods do not contain the substances you are eliminating.
You can also have a skin test done at an allergist. If you take any form of allergy medication, call your allergist and ask how many days prior to your test to stop taking your medication. This is vital for an accurate result.
The other option you have is a RAST allergy test. This test is done by drawing blood from your arm and then the lab tests your blood for antibody type substances to several suspected food allergens. The results take around 2 weeks to come back from RAST testing, but you can continue on allergy meds. and this test will not be affected by them. (if you take meds.) Older RAST tests were said to be flawed, but the newer RAST tests are quite accurate. Ask for an "Immuno-cap" test. This is considered the gold standard for RAST tests today.
If allergens are a possible issue for you, also consider eliminating MSG and sulfites from your diet. These 2 addatives can trigger many problems for people with allergies and asthma.

Last edited by storms_refuge; 03-01-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
(male)

ntalh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
According to a Swedish(Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm) study, "salt was found to be as great a risk factor with people who regularly added salt to their meals were also found to be 70 percent more likely to have acid reflux than those who did not".

I do find that salty foods make my GERD a lot worse.

Closed Thread