It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User
mucous in throat can't swallow it away! and thirsty all the time.

My burping problem has gotten worse in the last 5-6 months. I'm 30 years old. The burping is even there when I'm trying to sleep sometimes. My main problem has been two things; this small mucous thing that gets stuck in my throat that I can't spit out or swallow away. It drives me crazy, I keep having to clear my throat every few minutes. It's very annoying. I have also been getting expremely thirsty at night especially. I will wake up every two hours and have a tall glass or two of water. Also during the day I'll have several tall glasses of water. It very scary. I'll usally wake up in a sweat sometimes and my body feels like it's overheating and I'll feel really dizzy, my head spinning. I'll get up and drink water. Then it takes a while for me to go back to sleep. I feel like I'm having a hotflash. I'm only 30 years old! I went to see a doctor and he tested me for diabetes. Test came out negative. He drew blood for additional tests. I don't know what is wrong with me. It's very frustrating and scary. Please help

Old 02-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
(female)

Neverenoughslee HB User
Re: mucous in throat can't swallow it away! and thirsty all the time.

Hi there. First of all, you need to try and relax a little bit. You are not alone here and people will try and help you. (HUGS). There, now that you have been hugged, let me say I have been going through the SAME exact thing for several months.

I have had the mucous thing in my throat that I cant bring up or down and just sits in my throat. It is annyoing at best, frightening at worst.

I went to my regular doc, told me "allergies". No improvement. So I finally saw an ENT (ear nose throat) doctor. He did two simple scopes on me and said my larynx was red and swollen. he diagnosed me with a form of reflux called LPR. This is different from GERD because most people who have LPR dont have heartburn.

The main symptoms of LPR reflux are: constant throat clearing, post nasal drio, excessive phlegm in throat, etc.

I would make an appt with an ENT.

Hope you feel better. You are not alone.
XO

Last edited by Neverenoughslee; 02-17-2005 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #3

DebraL HB User

What are you doing as treatment for the LPR? Does lots of water help?

Old 02-20-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
(female)

Neverenoughslee HB User

I am on high dose therapy of PPI (Protonix) 2x day. This will probably be long term therapy, as LPR can take 6+ months to heal, unlike GERD which can heal in weeks.

I am also drinking 2 quarts of water a day or more (room temperature).

They also tell you to reduce fat intake, caffeine, spicy foods, juices, and chocolate, but I already avoid such products.

I have been on the Protonix for 2 months, but only 3 weeks of the higher dose therapy. So far, I have seen no improvement and am ready to jump out a window at times.

Do you suffer from this condition?! I am lookin for fellow LPR sufferers

Old 02-22-2005, 05:11 AM   #5
(female)

MDB HB User

I have the mucous in my throat and a constant cough that will not go away. My lungs also get sore. I've been to the Allergy Dr. and they said that eventually the 40 grams of Nexium that I'm taking will alleviate this. What exactly is LPR? Could you have this along with a hiatal hernia? I'm thinking to go to an ENTtoo. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 AM   #6

DebraL HB User

I think LPR might be my problem. I went ot the ENT for a feeling of sometihgn in my throat all the time. It did not feel like mucous, it felt solid. But there was nothing else wrong and he said I had LPR. I asked how you tell if the throat irritation is from PND draining DOWN or reflux. He said it could be either. Lately after having upper respiratory viruses for sevral weeks, I have a metallic taste in my nouth and am wondering if that is another symptom. When I tried Nexioum it GAVE me heartburn. Maybe I should try it again.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #7
(female)

Neverenoughslee HB User

MDB- Do you have any problem getting the mucous up? Do you think its more of just a sensation that the mucous is there? Is the cough deep or more superficial? Can you explain what you mean about your lungs being sore? You mean the muscles in your chest orback or actually your Lungs?

I would definitely go to an ENT. He could definitely help you.

LPR is a laryngophareangeal reflux (spelling, lol). Anyway, its a form of acid reflux that differs from GERD. The acid actually backflows into the voicebox, which is what causes the problems. Many people with LPR dont have heartburn.

Its good you are on NExium. You may need a higher does if it is LPR. Nexium is also a PPI, which is the treatment of choice for LPR. SOmetimes, its 6months before results are seen.

Hope you feel better.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #8
(female)

Neverenoughslee HB User

DebraL,

So your ENT did a scope? Did he say your larynx was inflamed? What exactly did he say when he looked? Or did he just look in the back of your throat with you opening up and saying AHHH with a flashlight?

Like I said before, You may need to either re-try the Nexium or ask for another PPI like Aciphex, Protonix, Prevacid. PPI's are really the treatment of choice for LPR. But they dont work fast, and you have to be patient. (Trust me, I am learning this the hard way. I am on month two and still going nuts).

How long did you take the Nexium for? Could it have been coincidence that it gave you heartburn?

Are you still having symptoms of the throat? Is it all the time? How often?

PS- Globbus is also a main symptom of LPR (feeling of something stuck in throat).

Last edited by Neverenoughslee; 02-22-2005 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #9

JIM85711 HB User

i also have a sort of mucus lump in my throat. i think it's right behind the thing that hangs down in the back of my mouth. sometimes it's hard to swallow & that mucus bump kind of sticks to something in my throat. kind of feels like my throat/esophagus is sticking together? i'm 29, i've had bad heartburn for a few years and just got rid of the heartburn since prilosec otc came out. anybody know of a way to get rid of the swallowing problem or the mucus bump feeling with out a doctor/prescription? i don't have medical coverage presently good luck to everybody!!!

Old 02-23-2005, 07:14 AM   #10
(female)

MDB HB User

Neverenoughslee,

Thanks so much for your reply. I have trouble getting the mucous up and I tend to have the cough more right after I eat.Its almost like a coughing spasm??? If there is such a thing!! My lungs are sore in my middle lower chest area maybe it is more my chest muscles and esophagas, its definatley not in my back. I am definately going to an ENT as you have suggested. My gastro doc and allergist haven't seemed to pinpoint this LPR condition. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia in Nov'04, but the heartburn symptoms have gone away and now I have this cough. I've had this cough on and off for about 7 years now and the allergist has been unable to identify it as of now until I had the heartburn attack and the gastro discovered the hernia. But thanks again for your valuable input!!!

Old 02-23-2005, 09:16 AM   #11

zoot_suit_brian HB User

It seems alot of people have been suffering from LPR, even after trying PPI's..anybody thought
of trying a more aggressive treatment, such as PPI's in combination with zantac?

Old 02-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #12
(female)

Neverenoughslee HB User

Hey zoot suit!

Do you have LPR?

I have tried a PPI (protonix) with Zantac. Didnt work. They say the H2 Antagonists like Zantac are not effective enough for LPR, but better for GERD. I am not sure why.

Right now I am on solely the Protonix 40mg 2 x a day.

I am desperate for relief most days, as I just want to reach down my throat and pull out the mucous since it wont move.

Last edited by Neverenoughslee; 02-23-2005 at 09:23 AM.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:49 AM   #13

zoot_suit_brian HB User

I believe i do have LPR..i have every symptom of LPR except trouble swallowing, and i have no heartburn, had a 24 h ph test which apparantly showed i have reflux.

the PPI's have not been enough for me, but I have found if i had 300 mg zantac plus antacids before sleep, i dont wake up with a raw throat..otherwise i do. which to me suggests that zantac does make a differnce..so im thinking of trying zantac during the day too.

My GI claims the timing of the drugs are very important..are u taking protonix about 30 minutes before you eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverenoughslee
Hey zoot suit!

Do you have LPR?

I have tried a PPI (protonix) with Zantac. Didnt work. They say the H2 Antagonists like Zantac are not effective enough for LPR, but better for GERD. I am not sure why.

Right now I am on solely the Protonix 40mg 2 x a day.

I am desperate for relief most days, as I just want to reach down my throat and pull out the mucous since it wont move.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 AM   #14
(female)

Neverenoughslee HB User

Hey Zoot Suit

How long have you been on the PPIs? What are your symptoms exactly? Do you have the mucous in your throat that doesnt come up? Feeling of something in your throat?

I take my meds upon waking up and about an hour or so before dinner.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:10 AM   #15

zoot_suit_brian HB User

I have had it for 2 years now.
tho i really only suspected it was acid reflux for the past 7 months.

my symptoms.
mucous in throat, which sometimes does come up, sometimes does not.
throat tightnesss.
hoarseness, dryness at times.

In regards to protonix,
My GI says the following......
Inorder for the drug to bind to the proton pumps,the proton pumps need to come to the inner surface of the stomach, which only happens when you eat.

So he claims the bottom line is if you dont eat 30 minutes later the drug will not get effectively absorbed. He claims even an hour is probably too long to get optimal absorption of the drug.

Closed Thread