It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
(male)

ELDERPANTHER HB User
GERD & Fast Heart Rate

I am a 57 year old male diagnosed with GERD. I also have had my Gall Bladder removed. I take 40 mg of Nexium daily. For the past few weeks I have been waking up between 6 and 8 AM with my heart racing and feeling like it was coming thru my chest. I normally go to bed about midnight. This happens about 4-5 times a week. I contacted my family doc and he said not to worry it was from my GERD. But I do worry. My last Stress test was last summer and it was normal. Anyone else experience anything like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
(male)

tattooyu HB User
Re: GERD & Fast Heart Rate

I get this same thing! Except, I get mine at around 3pm, approximately two hours after lunch--no matter what I've had. My heart rate will be around 100-110 for about an hour.

There are some other posts on this forum where people have said they get a fast heart rate after eating. It has something to do with GERD and the sensitivity of the vagus nerve.

I'm going for an abdominal ultrasound to check the gallbladder and organs in a week. Wish me luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 12:35 AM   #3
(female)

PA2LA HB User

Oh my! My husband has just been through every heart test known for the same thing. He is 28 and was diagnosed with GERD a few years ago. His heart rate got so high one night that he almost passed out. He wasn't comfortable laying, sitting, or standing. His heart was racing no matter what.

A few days later, I had him in the ER because he ended up with such severe anxiety attacks and the heart rate was 120, laying down!

8 hours and 4 nurses later, they wanted to admit him, just to do a stress test. It was horrible. He REFUSED to be admitted for a test that could be done by the doctor for 1/10 the cost!

Now, he feels better knowing that it's not his heart, but the pain from the acid is so bad that he can hardly breathe. He has taken 4 prevacid today and it's not helping. The doc offered Aciphex and that didn't work at all, in fact, it made it worse.

The end result is that the GERD can and will make you think that you are having a heart attack or panic attack. He's been taking Xanax for two weeks now, but it doesn't help the GERD.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #4

cazint HB User
Exclamation Re: GERD & Fast Heart Rate

PA2LA, That sucks!

I am a 26 year old male and can sympathize, as I have been dealing with similar issues. About six months ago, all of a sudden, i started having pains in my chest. And perhaps I am just a "worry wart", but knowing that my cholesterol and blood pressure are elevated, the chest pains, well, they had my mind racing with all kinds of crazy ideas. And mind you, I consider myself someone who handles stress well. but I have had to learn, that when it comes to my health, I apparently can get downright pannicky. You can surely imagine, but as these ideas ran through my mind, the "pain" seemed worse and more noticable. Then it would seem like my blood pressure was raising. It seemed like I could so easily feel my pulse. My heart would feel like it was going to pound itself right out of me. At one point (at the beginning), it was so bad, that I had my wife drive me immediately to the doctor. I had so many crazy ideas going through me, that I wasn't even sure that I was going to make it to the clinic! I mean, if you were to have seen me, I looked awful.

So i go into the doctor's office, i can barely speak, as I am breathing so fast and heavily, and I was NO DOUBT, acting very panicky...because frankly, I was panicking. I thought something was seriously wrong. So he did the usual listening to my heart and other such things, and said everything sounds okay. funny, just the doctor saying the words "okay" made the chest pains almost go away. He, being a doctor and having seen my type of case before, knew that I was panicking and that my symtoms, or at least the exaggeration of my symptoms, were a direct result of the panicking. So he first told me to calm down. He had me take several deep breaths. He just made me focus, breathe properly, and try to speak a bit slower. I began to feel better, and then explained in detail what had led me to come in that day. After a lengthy discussion, he felt that my chest pains (probably from STRESS), caused me to panick (at the idea of it being a heart problem), and then the small pains seemed like big ones. He suggested that I, for peace of mind, get an EKG, although he "swore" that it would be normal. So I decided to pay for it, and of course, it was normal (waste of money). but of course, knowing that my heart was fine made me feel infinitely better. So one hour after feeling and looking so miserable that I cannot even begin to describe, I was on my way home, and laughing, with a smile on my face.

it was then that I decided that I needed to learn about stress, how I supposedly handle it, how and where it builds up on you, what symptoms occur as a result, and how to better manage my stress. I strongly encourage you to have your husband go get, read, and implement the following book: (The) Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook{REMOVED}

This may provide a lot of answers. But at least your husband has had these tests and can have peace of mind that it is hopefully not heart related. So now he can see what the other possible options are. you stated the gerd medicine is not working. There is a very good chance that it is stress. And if he is anythign like me, that seems hard to believe, as I have always prided myself on my "ability" to handle stress...but perhaps I was wrong.

Good luck.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-29-2005 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Don't post website addresses. Read and follow the posting rules.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2LA
Oh my! My husband has just been through every heart test known for the same thing. He is 28 and was diagnosed with GERD a few years ago. His heart rate got so high one night that he almost passed out. He wasn't comfortable laying, sitting, or standing. His heart was racing no matter what.

A few days later, I had him in the ER because he ended up with such severe anxiety attacks and the heart rate was 120, laying down!

8 hours and 4 nurses later, they wanted to admit him, just to do a stress test. It was horrible. He REFUSED to be admitted for a test that could be done by the doctor for 1/10 the cost!

Now, he feels better knowing that it's not his heart, but the pain from the acid is so bad that he can hardly breathe. He has taken 4 prevacid today and it's not helping. The doc offered Aciphex and that didn't work at all, in fact, it made it worse.

The end result is that the GERD can and will make you think that you are having a heart attack or panic attack. He's been taking Xanax for two weeks now, but it doesn't help the GERD.
Is he prescribed 4? What dose of Prevacid did he take? I know it's tempting to just load up on drugs when it hurts, but my GI doctor told me taking more than the prescribed dose isn't going to work because your body has a threshold for how much medication it can handle, after that, it will do nothing. It sounds like your husband should try some different PPIs, or maybe PPIs with other drugs too. I hope he feels better.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
(male)

hosuton HB User

Get a map of where you esophogas is running?I beleive right under your heart,that is why it is called heart burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
(male)

norby HB User

HI. This thread has been going on a for a few years but I've just come across this site so I thought I'd add my comments.

I too have recently been diagnosed with Gerd. I had some acid burn at the entrance to my stomach which should clear up and was checked for Barrets (sp?) disease but was cleared of that.

However even though I know I have Gerd I am still paranoid about heart problems. I'm a 41 y/o male with Hypertenstion (had it all my life even as a kid), only slightly overweight but concerned about my heart.

Wrapped up in all this is that I worry so much about it that I have mild anxiety as a result. This all sounds totally stupid as I write it, but it happens.

I've had every possible heart check including an Angiogram. I had a normal EKG, Stress test but 2 years ago the Dr wanted to put my mind at rest and did an angio. That put my mind totally at reat for 2 years until recently.

All I can say is that I've have these symptoms for years (maybe 7 or 8) they are not getting worse and I'm still alive. The only thing I need to deal now with is my quality of life and get the worry out of my head.

So for Gerd sufferers I know exactly what you are going through and it's difficult to get over it but you will. Dr's are generally pretty good at sorting out the Atypical symptoms over the dangerous ones.

So the agreement I have with my Cardio is that I will monitor my BP and I'll see him each year. Every 2nd year we'll do a stress test.

That seems to be working.

Good luck everyone......

Old 08-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
(female)

PA2LA HB User

hey Norby, It seems almost unnatural to not experience anxiety with GERD and related disorders. I have yet to meet someone with GERD that doesn't harbor a secret or well shared anxiety problem. How can you not? It's probably one of the most unpleasant things that you can experience. Plus, no one really understands the pain unless they, too suffer with it.

In my husband's case, it wasn't until he wore the holter monitor for a week, that the cardiologist got to see firsthand, the effects of stress on his heart. Through the recording of "events" (what one might normally write off as an anxiety attack), he was able to present the cardio w/all that he needed to diagnose him with INNAPPROPRIATE SINUS TACHYCARDIA (in reference to the Sinus Node of the heart, not the nasal cavity).

Now, he still feels some GERD at times, but now that he's on beta-blockers for his heart, he no longer gets the fast heart rate and chest tightness that he thought was GERD related. It's amazing. He had all of the non-invasive heart tests, but they showed a normal heart...just beating way too fast.

It's important to emphasize that he went misdiagnosed for nearly 7 months. He was unable to leave the house, sleep, sit in front of the computer, or do anything that caused stress or excitement. It would be fair to say that if we didn't find a great Cardiologist, who specialized in arrythmias and tachycardia, there is no doubt that my husband would've been hospitalized in July.

I think that given how simple and inexpensive the holter monitor testing is, it should be used more widely; to rule out harmless & life threatening arrythmias. To me, that is the "ounce of prevention" that is overlooked by most doctors with patients suffering from these "overlapping" conditions.

Best of luck to you all...take care

Old 08-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I was interested in the posts that talk about GERD and fast heart rate. I have GERD, asthma, and sometimes about fifteen minutes or so after I eat I get the fast heart rate. It isn't all the time though. I just thought it was due to something I ate (like a food allergy or something). Someone mentioned the vagus nerve?? I have heard something in the past about that being connected with asthma. I wonder if all of my ailments are related? Anyone know?

Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #10
(female)

PA2LA HB User

From all of our inquiries with all of the doctors, it is very normal for everyone to have a slightly increased heart rate after eating. 10-15 BPMS is normal. My husband was jumping up to over 200 BPMs...not normal. Initially, the doc thought that is was his vagus nerve having a reaction to some green peppers that he ate. It's certainly a viable answer, but the Vagus doesn't cause the severe jumps commonly found in heart patients.

Your experience sounds normal. As for the asthma, I've not discovered anything through my EXTENSIVE search on conditions in the last few months, but I wasn't really looking for a connection.

It is intriguiging and worth a web search of the combined ailments to see if anyone else is sufferning with what you describe. Mind you, you will probably pull up a lot of posts from other forums and you will have to sift through them. I was surprised to learn that a lot of seemingly unrelated conditions added up to one identifiable condition. Mostly stuff we would never had heard of otherwise.

If I come across anything of interest, I'll let you know...

Closed Thread