It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
How long will it take for protonix to start getting rid of the problem?

I have GERD and main symptom is nausea. I have been on the protonix for about a week and a half. I was wondering how long it would be until it started getting rid of this. I am nausious in the mornings, not every morning but atleast once a week I have it sooo bad that it interferes with what I"m doing and it can last all day. I am praying this isn't something that won't be cured. Does anyone know?

Old 02-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: How long will it take for protonix to start getting rid of the problem?

GERD is not cured, but it can be kept under control. I took protonix for 4 weeks and it did nothing, so dr put me on nexium(free samples)for 2 months, I started feeling worse so I took myself off the nexium and it got better. So now I'm back on protonix again since I was having side effects from the nexium. I don't know what to tell ya, I've been wheeling and dealing with the drugs since Sept and I have mild Barrett's Esophagus and that is nothing to play with. I will say it has calmed down alot. I see my dr again in March and I'm going to ask for something else if this protonix hasn't kicked in by then. It sounds like you have nightime reflux to, I'd wake up congested and was coughing and clearing my throat all the time, but that all went away after a month but the burn still stays and that is what I want put out!!! In 1992 I was diagnosed with asthma, tho I have never used an inhaler and my symptoms of asthma were coughing, congestion, constant clearing of my throat and slight breathing problem, well this year that diagnosis was reversed, it's been acid reflux all along and it never got treated til Sept 2004. Now I have barrett's so it puts me in a whole new category of paranoia. If I had known sooner like 14 yrs ago I may have been able to prevent it from getting this far but that didn't happen. So please be diligent with treatment, give protonix about amonth, if it doesn't work tell the dr you want something else til you find what works for you. Oh, and the side effects of these ppi are the same symptoms you are taking them for, heartburn, nausea, sour stomach, joint pain, coughing, congestion and on and on. Nexium was making mine worse, any of those drugs can do that so be alert.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 02:12 AM   #3
(female)

more HB User
Re: How long will it take for protonix to start getting rid of the problem?

I take Protonix and it began working for me in about a week. However, I did find that if I took it in the morning it worked good. When I switched to night work I still took it in the morning and it did not seem to work when I was awake. I changed the time I took it to just before going to work and it works for me.

So my suggestion is experiment with the time you take it - you probably want it in you during your waking hours and not as much at night. Or you may need it at night to be able to sleep.

Closed Thread