It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 04:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

donsabi HB Userdonsabi HB User
Prevacid Not Working

I have been diagnosed with GERD and Prevacid was prescribed. Two months later and my symptoms have worsen. Now I get heartburn severe enough to wake me several times even with my upper body elevated. As bad as the heartburn is it dissipates as soon as I sit up or stand. The lack of sleep is causing other problems though out the day. My voice has become course and I seem to always have mucus in my throat which I can never seem to clear completely.
Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Re: Prevacid Not Working

Hi
I found that prevacid didn't really work for me. My doctor has now given me omeprazole (sorry don't know the american name for it) and it works better for me (unfortunately Ive had to stop taking it because Ive had a dizzy/balance illness and all stomach stuff makes it worse).
I take slippery elm capsules from the health food shop which seem to have mostly gotten rid of the horrible ball of mucus in the back of the throat and my sore throats have vastly reduced. I also take aloe vera which seems to help aswell - although Id recommend you get inner leaf gel juice and take it on an empty stomach.
I am sleeping better. Its really the pits isn't it.
Hope that helps. You can also try taking zantac regularly although it won't work as fast as ppis.
Best wishes
Tess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi again.
Just thought of other things - you shouldn't eat late at night ie latest meal about 3 hours before going to bed. You should aviod tea, coffee, chocolate, high fat foods, alcohol, orange juice, tomatoes, peppermints - all of these either cause more acid or cause the valve at the top of the stomach to weaken and open, causing heartburn/GERD.
Theres loads of advice on the internet - just search on GERD.
Hope that all helps. Let me know if it helps or if anything else works for you.
Best wishes
Tess

Last edited by Tesss; 02-24-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

donsabi HB Userdonsabi HB User

Tesss
Thanks for the advice. I tried the slippery elm and to my amazement my mucus has been greatly reduced. My voice has almost returned to normal. I am having a little trouble locating the aloe vera gel, I found the juice, but I will continue to search. Question; Did you take the zantac while you were taking prevacid?
BTW, I saw my MD a he told me to take the prevacid 2x daily and recommended having an endoscopy.
Once again, thank you.

Old 02-26-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi Donsabi
Im so pleased the slippery elm helped you! I think its great and I wouldn't be without it!
I got the aloe vera juice online. I tried whole leaf juice and it caused me stomach aches, it has a strong laxative effect, inner leaf gel or juice made from pure inner leaf doesn't have that effect. Im not sure if I can post company names on here, if you are still having trouble let me know and I will get the name to you.

Zantac makes me dizzy since having vestibular neuronitis (balance/dizzyness virus) so I don't take it, but I have read of others taking zantac at the same time as ppis and its fine and hopefully will make a difference. I think you have to wait for 2 hours after taking the ppi before taking the zantac otherwise the zantac will basically dissolve the ppi. i think a lot of people take a ppi in the morning and then the zantac at night. Its worth a shot.
So are you going to have an endoscopy and when? It would be good to know what damage there is and if theres a reason for the GERD eg hernia?

Sorry this message is so long, but why don't you have a look at LPR, I think there are threads on it, because for LPR the normal dose of ppi doesn't work so they double up the dose. Maybe your symptoms fit that, although LPR doesn't tend to cause heartburn. I guess the endoscopy would diagnose that maybe? I don't know?

hope that is useful, and hope you start to improve soon
Best wishes

Tesss

Last edited by Tesss; 02-26-2005 at 05:20 AM.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I think everyone is different with which PPI works for them the best. I do okay on Prevacid. Nexium doesn't touch my reflux. I'm still trying to find something that works really well.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User

Donsabi
Hi, just though I'd let you know --- I have been on 30 mg Prevacid Am, 30 mg Prevacid PM and 300 mg zantac PM for about 6 months and instead of improvedment I actually think it is worse. I also have severe osteoporosis, breast cancer survivor and Crohn's disease besides the gastritis/upper esophagitis (collarbone area)/acid reflux/PND from chronic sinusitis. It seems to be a no win situation with me. I have had a few days inbetween where I felt a little better but I can't figure out what was done differently. It bothers me mostly during the night and keeps me up towards morning. Since my overall health stinks and the fact I have lost weight doesn't help my osteo either. Also, I am convinced that the only osteo drug I can take and have been taking for the past 1 1/2 years has been making my stomach/acid reflux problem worse and worse. I did have a bit of a problem before but it was under control with 30 mg Prevacid in AM only. Try convincing the doc!!!!!! I can't stop taking the Evista as there is no other drug I can take for it so what do I do.....either I keep getting worse from the GERD, etc. or I die of osteoporosis and from what I hear that is a really painful way to go. I want to go back on HRT despite the breast cancer but no one will give it to me - that did not bother my stomach and kept my bones good. I know it won't build new bone but at least they won't get worse. I'd rather take my chances with that. Wish one of you could write me a prescription for it since I can't find a doctor that will. I can't take the proper Crohn's drugs either so I am on 10 mg Librium 4x/day or 5 mg Librium & 1 Librax 4x/day depending on how bad the Crohn's is any particular day. I have been on that for a long time and who knows - maybe that is contributing to it also. However, one is reluctant to stop the drugs and perhaps get another 8 hour bleeding from the recturm Crohn's attack again. Don't want that either. My Dad died from stomach hemorraging and that scares me. Any ideas????????????? Thanks.

Old 03-06-2005, 12:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Donsabi
Ive just changed how I take my ppi - if I take it with food rather than 30 mins before it seems to work quite well for me. Maybe that might help you aswell?

Closed Thread