It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 04:25 AM   #1

jvossrn HB User
Prilosec... increased dose=increased effectiveness???

Well, I went back to my gastroenterologist Tuesday, and he changed me from Prevacid 30mg twice a day, Zantac 300mg twice a day, and Zelnorm 6mg twice a day to Prilosec 80mg twice a day, Zantac 300mg twice a day, and no zelnorm. He's going to scope me on April 8. He said that with prilosec, the more you increase the dose, the more effectiveness you have. Has anyone ever been told this? It sounds ridiculous to me. I've taken prilosec before, and it didn't work. Granted, not at this dose, but I'm feeling a little frustrated. Also, he said to keep taking the pepto-bismol. There was nothing else mentioned as far as treatment options after the scope, but I'm interested in looking into the nissen. I'm having chest pain about 90% of the time that I am awake, and that alone causes me to feel stressed out, which in turn contributes to the acid production... etc. etc. Let me know what you all think about this prilosec business... Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
Re: Prilosec... increased dose=increased effectiveness???

Are you sure that he has recommened 80mg Prilosec a day (I presume this is Omeprozole) as that is a huge dose!? Anyhow I've had to increase my doseage of this drug over the past two years, from 10mg a day to the current 60mg a day. I take 40mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening. Ultimatly I was advised by my gastroent' to self medication between 20mg and 60mg a day, depending on levels of reflux and symtoms etc, so I would definatly say that increased dose means increased effectiveness. It's been that way for me! Although I also think that my body is constantly developing a resistence to this medication. God knows what dose I'd be on in a year from now.

If you are on such a high dose of meds, I guess you've consider a fundo' operation? I'm intending to have one next month, as I don't like that ideal of needing ever increasing doses of drugs that haven't had any long term trials.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 07:46 AM   #3

zoot_suit_brian HB User

The way the PPI's work, there would be a dose where u get maximum effectiveness with each dosing. So, for you if take 40 mg at once might get the
same effect as taking 80 mg at once. However the more times a day you take it the more effective. So taking 80 mg at once might be just as effective as taking 40 mg at once, but taking 40 mgs twice a day is more effective than taking it once a day.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
(male)

mathis000 HB User

Doc put me up to 80mg of prilosec a day...(40mg twice a day) And it worked...for a while. Then put me on 300mg Ranitidine twice a day. THat helped for a while...then went in for a pH test, and a manometry test as well. After getting the results back, was referred to a surgeon, and had a Lap Nissen (full-wrap) Haven't ahd a hint of acid since!!

I say, that if you are on such a high dosage of meds, you should consider surgery. After all, 80mg a day of prilosec, and 300mg x2 of ranitidine is the max you can take..and there is now where for you to go.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
(female)

mymeka HB User

Could you please inform what 'Ranitidine ' is, as my mother is really suffering from reflux and has just been changed from Protonix (rendered itself ineffective) to AciPhex, and thus far, symptoms are not getting any better.

How long would a new med usually take to take effect?

Thanks!

Lori

Old 03-29-2005, 12:37 PM   #6

jvossrn HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone. Mathis, yes I'm considering fundo. I'm having another EGD on April 8 to check for erosion. I think I'm ready for surgery. I feel bad about 90% of the time with acid taste, chest pain, etc. Thanks for the input!!

Closed Thread