It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

wagger16 HB User
Question Not Sure I Have GERD???

i have the full feeling in my throat and sometimes burning in my stomach. i have been on protonix for 2 weeks and it does not take away the lump in my throat. i don't have insurance so i can't go and get all of these tests done like many of you.

my back hurts between my shoulder blades and my diaphragm has an uncomforatble feeling.

does this sound like acid reflux or one of the other gastro related issues???

Last edited by wagger16; 04-05-2005 at 10:36 AM. Reason: wrong info

Old 06-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
(male)

sleepyportugee HB User
Re: Not Sure I Have GERD???

Its hard to tell what is going on. I'm sorry you don't have insurance but I think your going to have to have an upper GI endoscopy to know what this is. I have trouble swallowing and my esophagus feels enflamed occasionally. My symptoms are different than yours but my condition is probably in part due to acid reflux. My condition keeps getting worst despite my prescription. I'm going to have an endoscopy next week so I will know for more then. All I can say is good luck figuring out what you have but at least ask a doctor. Maybe this will be helpful:

Two websites where you can ask a physician questions. One you have to pay and the other is free.
[url]http://www.thedoctorslounge.net/forums/backup/topic-244.html[/url]
[url]http://www.myphysicians.com[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2006, 04:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

The biggest mistake people can make in treating GERD is thinking they need all the "fancy tests". Response to the medication is diagnosis in itself, and the only test you might want to consider sometime in the future, after you have already responded to medication, is an endoscopy, to check for continued esophageal erosion - but if you are young, and just started getting GERD, you might not need to worry about this for a while. While the heartburn and fullness in throat are symptoms of GERD, the endoscopy really just looks for signs of prolonged damage - looking for precancerous areas that might indicate an intermediate stage called Barrett's, which is what can sometimes lead to esophageal cancer.

If you are not reponding to Protonix, it's because I haven't heard of anyone responding to Protonix. I don't know why, and I ask others to respond to this - but has anyone here at all been successfully treated with Protonix?

There are 4 other prescription Proton-Pump Inhibitors (same classification as Protonix) that you can try and they are all well-represented on this board. They are:
Nexium
Aciphex
Prevacid
Prilosec (by prescription) - not the OTC version

There is another prescription called Zegrid, but it's basically a combination of prescription Prilosec and Tums. A few of us are taking it at night as a supplement to our Nexium, Aciphex, etc.

In addition, you can buy Prilosec OTC (over the counter) but it is not as effective as the prescription version, even if you double the dose.

Secondly, bad GERD often needs to be treated with 2 doses of a Proton Pump Inhibitor a day - not just 1 dose. All the laryngeal reflux patients here on on 2 doses a day, and many of the GERD patients. Even my best friend, who does not have regular GERD, but who had GERD in pregnancy, was treated with 2 doses a day. 2 doses will usually wipe it out.

In addition, you can drink Malox or Mylanta as well.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
(female)

nikib5 HB User

Hi, I just wanted to step forward as one of the ones who was actually helped by Protonix I noticed after about a week that I felt a lot better. It was after being on them for 2 years that I started having other problems as I don't think prolonged use is what it's meant for, but initially to heal the damage done, Protonix worked.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Another note for Protonix - my mother loves it! She has a combination of GI issues, including GERD (she was choking/regurgitating at least a year before she would see a doc about it). The 1st PPI she was administered was Protonix, and she's done well with it.

I can't speak for it myself, because all I've had is Nexium. And I'm not positive it's working or not (I had symptoms probably all of a week or 2 before I saw a GP who gave me Nexium, and so it's continued); I know that I still have gastritis feelings and hot throat a whole lot.

Closed Thread