It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User
Can GERD cause cancer?

Well, I dropped down to 120lbs. now.
It seems that everything I eat is causing belching.
I just look sick. All over. I am calling a G.I. doctor tomorrow to set up an appt.
I just wish I took better care of myself thru life, but I guess the damage is done.
I pray this condition is reversible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: Can GERD cause cancer?

Research has shown that it can possibly cause esophageal cancer from repeated irritation of acids to the lining of the esophagus. The esophagus tissue can start to resemble the lining of the stomach causing cell changes. Please do not assume that you have this. The chance is so small for this to occur. It can develop over many many years of untreated GERD. I think it has a less then 10 percent chance for barret's esophagus to turn into esophageal cancer. And only a small percentage of people with GERD supposedly get barrets. I believe I read that around 15,000 people a year are diagnosed with esophageal cancer. However, it is a very aggressive and difficult cancer to treat. I would recommend getting an endoscopy and see what is going on. Again, please do not stress out and assume you have cancer. Good luck.

Last edited by shnswms; 06-18-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

Thanks. I went to my doctor this morning and he gave me a prescrip for Librax which not only helps with my IBS but is also for anxiety. Well, I took one before I ate lunch this afternoon and it definitely relaxed me. I am quite "spacey" on it and find it difficult even to type this and it's 8:20 pm. Confusion is listed as one of the side effects. I'll just have to see how this goes for awhile at least until I gain some of my weight back.

Old 06-25-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

Well, I am in my first full week of taking Librax, and it has helped tremendously. I hardly ever burp but I do notice that chocolate still bothers me a bit. I grabbed a Cookies n' Cream milk at the local gas station, and I was belching after I drank it. I still think I have some irritation in my throat. I took a pill before eating a burger from Burger King (which I haven't done in months) and I had no problems. I do notice that if I drink anything too fast (even water) I belch. Too much air, maybe? I am still concerned about my weight, though. It's like I have 0% body fat on me, and I have been eating really healthy.. well, except for that one BK buger today..but other than that I have been drinking protein shakes loaded with fresh fruits and eating more consistantly.

Closed Thread