It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2005, 11:05 AM   #1

tizimare HB User
Prilosec OTC - Finished 14 days, now what?

H2-blockers weren't working sufficiently for me so I began taking a PPI instead.
Sooooooo, I just took my last Prilosec OTC tablet this morning. I've been on it for 14 days and have done pretty well except that I still have a very slight feeling of pain in my upper esophagus but the pain is nothing compared to what it was to start with (at the beginning of June). According to the instructions on the Prilosec box, I have to wait 4 months before taking it again. My concern is that without the PPI, the acid reflux will return and, as experienced, any H2-blockers aren't going to keep it under control. I've quit drinking coffee (although my usual 'habit' was only one cup a day ) ...and can't believe that the ONE cup of coffee is going to make all the difference. I miss that one cup!!! Okay, my question is.... has anyone taken Prilosec OTC longer than 14 days???

I have an appointment with my GI doc on the 26th for a follow-up on the colonoscopy & endoscopy that was done July 5th. Since then, I've been on my own as far as choosing which over-the-counter medications to use. All that was told to me on July 5th was not to drink coffee and that the GI doc saw no evidence of ulcers or cancer, that he had to stretch my esophagus ("stricture"), that I have a slight hiatal hernia.

Thanks for any help

~Mare

Old 07-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
(female)

Sanchez1 HB User
Re: Prilosec OTC - Finished 14 days, now what?

Hi there!

I was prescribed Prilosec OTC 14 day pack when I was vomiting blood in May and had alot of tenderness in my uper abdomen area. I had no insurance, so the best the doc could do was to tell me to do the 14 day pack.

I finished it and my severe stomach pains were gone, but about a week later I began having heartburn every day. I then coughed up some blood in my mucus. I had since moved to Texas, where I had no doctor, no insurance, nothing. I called my doctor and asked what should I do while waiting for insurance. He told me to continue taking Prilosec, this time taking it twice a day until I see a doctor.

Now I can't advise you what to do as I am not a doctor, nor am I sure if my dr. was right, however I know how you must feel: frusterated, confused, scared, and wanting answers.

Can you call your doctor and ask him what he prefers for you to do?

Good luck and God bless!

ETA: Just read that you do not have an ulcer, which I am believed to have but no formal tests have been done. I would def. call your doc and ask for some kind of guidance.

Last edited by Sanchez1; 07-25-2005 at 10:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 11:17 AM   #3

marylandnole HB User

I never understood why Prilosec says take for 14 days or 42 days. My doctor has me taking a PPI (which is what Prilosec is) for life! If I do not, my Barrett's Esophsgus which was caused by GERD will probably get worse and I could get cancer. Each person is different but you need to have an endoscopy with a biopsy to rule out Barrett's . Only 10 percent of GERD sufferers have this and only as small portion of BE's get cancer. Unfortunely, I am in the smaller group and am at higher risk of cancer. Do you know if the doc took a biopsy? He can't alwyas tell by just looking

Last edited by marylandnole; 07-26-2005 at 11:20 AM.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #4

tizimare HB User

Thanks for your responses I've read so many conflicting things on the Internet about long term use of Prilosec OTC, my head is spinning! What to do, what to do?!

Being without Prilosec OTC yesterday, I woke up this morning with the feeling of thumb tacks in my esophagus a burning, heavy feeling in my chest and tightness in my throat this morning. (It's baaaaackk!!) That didn't take long, did it?! Well, I took Pepsid Complete and within three hours, the pains are not quite as bad but though dulled, they are still there. I know the Pepsid Complete won't work for me while I'm sleeping (it didn't before)....my GERD really acts up while I'm asleep at night. Prilosec OTC is the only thing that kept it under control. My GI doctors office called this morning to reschedule my appointment to next Tuesday (he had an emergency today).....Soooooo, I asked the nurse to ask him if I can continue the Prilosec OTC. They should let me know within the next 24 hours (she said).

~Mare

Old 07-26-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
Inactive

kasmpow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez1
Hi there!

I was prescribed Prilosec OTC 14 day pack when I was vomiting blood in May and had alot of tenderness in my uper abdomen area. I had no insurance, so the best the doc could do was to tell me to do the 14 day pack.

I finished it and my severe stomach pains were gone, but about a week later I began having heartburn every day. I then coughed up some blood in my mucus. I had since moved to Texas, where I had no doctor, no insurance, nothing. I called my doctor and asked what should I do while waiting for insurance. He told me to continue taking Prilosec, this time taking it twice a day until I see a doctor.

Now I can't advise you what to do as I am not a doctor, nor am I sure if my dr. was right, however I know how you must feel: frusterated, confused, scared, and wanting answers.

Can you call your doctor and ask him what he prefers for you to do?

Good luck and God bless!

ETA: Just read that you do not have an ulcer, which I am believed to have but no formal tests have been done. I would def. call your doc and ask for some kind of guidance.
Hi Sanchez,

I had a similiar thing happen to me the other day I was in the shower washed my face and some water got up my nose I started coughing and gaging I coughed for a while, then all of sudden I spit out some blood, it freaked me out I also have heartburn frequently and have taken otc prosolic and over the counter stuff, then I had a sore throat. I haven't made an appt with the doctor yet and that is because I have a doctor phobia great huh! I'm a mess. I also suffer from anxiety/panic attacks. I really need to see a thearpist before I could go to the doctor. I developed this phobia about 3 years ago I don't know where it came from I was always afraid of blood tests but managed to go through with them, but now i'm like frozen.

Now i'm not even so sure where the blood came from sometimes by gums bleed due to the fact I haven't had a cleaning in awhile. But I don't think that is possible. So now all i'm thinking is I must be dieing maybe its TB, or cancer or bleeding ulcer who knows. My step should be to make a appt. with the thearpist finding a good one is the hardest part I have been to some real winners in the past.

Thanks

Kas

Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM   #6

tizimare HB User

Quote:
I also suffer from anxiety/panic attacks.
Hello, Kas,

My acid reflux will trigger a panic attack. If you do any reading here in the GERD forum, you will find that it happens to others, also.

What other kinds of "stuff" were (are?) you taking for your frequent "heartburn"? Can you name them and tell us how long you were on each one? Thanks bunches!

~Mare

Old 07-27-2005, 02:40 AM   #7

marylandnole HB User

Sanchez,

I would take Prilosec until the doctor called. I see no reason why you should suffer. I know many people that have taken it for years and have no noticeable side effects. I just started in March, and it changed my life. My only symptom of GERD, which it turns out I had for oover 20 yeard, was choking at night and laryngitis occasionally. I have no heartburn, that is why I was confused about having GERD. Good thing I found out though because I take thi, I know sleep so much better

Old 07-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #8
Inactive

kasmpow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizimare
Hello, Kas,

My acid reflux will trigger a panic attack. If you do any reading here in the GERD forum, you will find that it happens to others, also.

What other kinds of "stuff" were (are?) you taking for your frequent "heartburn"? Can you name them and tell us how long you were on each one? Thanks bunches!

~Mare
Hi Mare,

I have taken otc Prilosec which works great and I have absloutely no heartburn but it says you have to wait 4 months to take it again I wish I didn't have to wait, I know I need to see a doctor and get a prescription before the heartburn does damage. I have a doctor phobia I went with my husband once to the doctor I was just sitting in the waiting room waiting for him I started to have an anxiety attack and had to go sit in the car. I don't know if this anxiety is caused by the major surgery I had as a child I was in and out of the hosptial and do not have good memories. I do need to see the dentist and I am getting my guts up to go soon if I don't chicken out.

Do you really have to wait 4 months in between taking Prilosec if so what is the reason my brother was on it for years of course prescribed by the dr.

thanks.

Kas

Old 07-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #9

tizimare HB User

Quote:
Do you really have to wait 4 months in between taking Prilosec
Kas,

Your question (above ) is my reason for starting this thread....I wanted to know the same thing. The instructions on the box of Prilosec OTC say to take it 14 days, wait 4 months before doing so again. However, I did get a message from my doctor yesterday (yippeeeeeee!!!). He said that because it's over-the-counter medication, it states to take it for 14 days only because they want you to follow up with a doctor. I guess there are some people who just diagnose themselves, medicate themselves and never bother to see a doctor....and the symptoms just might mean a more serious illness. Makes sense to me.

So...I'm off to buy another box of Prilosec OTC.

Hope you see your doctor soon. I don't like going either but it's so much better knowing what's going on inside than to worry each day with speculation of what it might be. Please come back and let us know what the doc tells you.

Good luck!
~Mare

Old 07-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #10
(female)

Sanchez1 HB User

I also do suffer from anxiety/panic attacks

Def. go see your doctor, my guess is it wasn't your gums, I tried telling myself that too, but I was trying to think positive.

Go see a doctor, for piece of mind You'll feel better!

Closed Thread