It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User
Low Acid Coffee

Does anyone know about the low acid coffees out there? Hevla just came out with one I believe that is a dark roast. Has anyone tried low acid coffee? I'm really picky about the type of coffee I drink and I'm in search of a good one for that one small cup of coffee I just can't give up in the morning!

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

spazz20032004 HB User
Re: Low Acid Coffee

you don't need low acid coffee dunkin decaf is the best tasting coffee you don't have to run to dunkin donut's every morning they sell it in bag's to take home and if you make it right well let's just say i won't buyany other do you really want to spend money on an experiment could get expensive you do know you are not supposed to have caffein that it make's gerd worse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User

I do drink Dunkin donuts coffee. I love it and buy it the beans in the 1lb bags. I just don't want to give it up completely. I thought a low acid type would be OK. Is it safe to have 6-8oz of regular?

Old 10-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

spazz20032004 HB User

no it's not how bad is your gerd the dunkin decafe taste the same as the reg if you make it right that's why i buy it i had to give up so much i figured out how to have my coffee in the morning

Old 10-23-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
(female)

mymeka HB User

4Dad,

I just contacted a coffee company (I'll check later which one it is) and they sent me free samples of their low acid coffee, but I've been skeptical yet to try it.

When you have reflux, coffee (decaf or regular) is a real NO-NO, it aggrevates and can cause you to become very sick, depending on how bad your reflux is and how long you've been on meds.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:13 AM   #6
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User

I gave up my coffee completely...I'll have to try the dunkin decaf...I tried other decafs...I still got reflux from them...this one is different?? Even though they are "decaf" don't they all still have a little caffein in them??

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 10-23-2005 at 06:14 AM.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
(female)

mymeka HB User

Lucy,

I would be very cautious to drink coffee - regular OR decaf - both have caffeine (believe it or not) and aggrevate, Dunkin' Donuts coffee included.

If you want to try coffee, try one of the lower acidic coffees, that can be found on the internet by typing in ***********.

Lori

Old 10-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

I have tried several of the low acid coffees from mail order companies, and have found for me, that they taste awful! I have been sucessful with a "cold brew" method of preparing coffees. The high temperatures of regular hot brewing increases the acidity in coffee as the hot water "cooks" the beans/grounds in the brewing process releasing the acids. With a cold brew method you get a very strong concentrate of lower acid coffee. Do a web search for the "Toddy" coffee brewing system, it explains the whole process and why it produces a lower acid coffee. You ''cold brew" your favorite grounds over a 12 hour time period, then drain the concentrate through a filter into a carafe. After the concentrate is brewed, the filter system also takes a long time (a couple of hours) for the coffee to drain through the filter so this in not a quick morning method, but when you are done you have about 2 weeks worth of concentrate. When the cold brew is finished it's like having a lower acid "instant" coffee from your favorite brands. You then just put some concentrate in your cup (amount varies depending on how strong you like your coffee), add hot water, cream, sugar or whatever you like and you have your favorite brew in a lower acid form of coffee. Since the concertrate itself is low acid, the hot water you add to make a hot cup of coffee does not increase acidity because the heat does not come in direct contact with the grounds/beans where it acid is. You may want to devise your own cold brew method to see if it works for you, before you invest in a cold brew system. Just put 1 cup of cold water in a bowl, add about 2-3 ounces of your favorite ground coffee, allow to sit in the fridge overnight or about 12 hours, then "filter" through double layer of cheesecloth in a strainer into a cup. Add hot water and voi-la "instant lower acid brew", it'll make enough to try and give you an idea if this method may work for you.

I also use a product called "Coffee Tamer". I get my coffee tamers from a locally owned kitchen store, similar to the Williams Sonoma stores, so look around you may be able to find them locally too. It is a small packet of tasteless powder that neutralizes the acids in coffees and other acidic drinks. I keep coffee tamers with me in my wallet so if I want to stop off for coffee I have them handy. You can use either of these methods with your favorite regular or decaf. coffees without switching to the low acid kinds. Decalf and regular coffee both have the same amount of acids, but with regular coffee, the caffine is an added irritant to the stomach. These solutions aren't perfect for reflux suffers, but defintely better than regular acidic coffee, and I think much more tasty than the low acid coffees. Hope this helps some coffee lovers out there who also suffer from acid reflux.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-09-2005 at 09:37 AM. Reason: inappropriate references

Old 10-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
(female)

mymeka HB User

Do "Coffee Tamers" get rid of all the acid, or just help to reduce? I have yet to try coffee since feeling so ill, and being diagnosed with reflux. I've only been on Nexium for 8 weeks, but would LOVE to try coffee again!

Thanks for the tip!

Lori

Old 10-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

mymeka- Coffee Tamer claims that it reduces acid by 90%, so no it does not get rid of all the acid, but most of it. It does seem to help me to be able to enjoy coffee occasionally. I do not drink alot of coffee as I am doing so well in controling the reflux that I don't want to blow it. It may be worth a try, even if you can only have a half cup to start with to see if it bothers you. Tamer is relatively cheap (about $6 for a box of packets) so you aren't spending a lot if it doesn't work for you. I don't think there is anything that gets rid of all the acid in coffees, even the low acid varieties sold on the net are "reduced" rather than acid free. If I were you, I'd try it now to see if it works since the holidays are just around the corner. I love goodies shared with family and friends during the holidays with a cup of coffee, even if I have to have a very small amount. It may be better for you to try it out now to see if it works rather miss out on the holidays. I plan on having GREAT holidays this year since last year my LPR was at it's very worst. Good luck to you too. Our stomachs just MUST realize they cannot control our whole lives!!!

Last edited by Red Maple; 10-28-2005 at 07:57 AM.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:04 PM   #11
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User

Hi all!

I disappeared for awhile and was so happy to come back and find these great ideas for us coffee lovers.

Mymeka, I would love to hear how your low acid coffee tasted.

Thanks for the tips lisman1408! I'm definitely going to try the Coffee Tamer. I'm with you, I just can't stand to let GERD rule my life. I've modified my diet so much that I've lost 10 pounds. And I didn't need to lose any weight to begin with. Just going low fat, not eating until I'm too full as well as eating way before I go to bed has all led to the weight loss. I feel however it has all been healthy weight loss because I do eat healthy foods, just low fat. I have to watch dairy too but I find dairy made with skim milk is OK but not with 2%. Anykind of milkfat bothers me.

So, in addition to the coffee that I can't give up, I've been upset about losing desserts. I know there are some we can have but it is a bummer to have to choose the non-fat everything. So I've been fighting with this and have been in search of good non-fat or low fat dessert items. When my doctor gave me my GERD diet one of the things that was off the list was pies and cakes (except of course angel food cake or sponge cake). Well that really depressed me since I just love my high fat desserts once and awhile. So I've decided to try white cakes made with applesauce and egg beaters as a start and recently I made a pumpkin pie with egg beaters and evaporated skim milk. I thought the dairy would bother me (even though skim) but it didn't and I was able to enjoy the pumpkin pie filling (tried fat free crust using corn syrup -was horrible) for a few days. It came out better than I thought using the skim. I'm trying very hard to modify dessert recipes that are bad for us and turn them into ones that don't bother us. Anyone know of any good ones?

I can't wait to try the Coffee Tamers. Has anyone else tried since this was suggested?

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by Administrator; 11-09-2005 at 09:43 AM.

Closed Thread