It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Dan_the_man HB User
Does anyone know anything that can help tighten your lower esophageal sphincter (LES)

Hi eveyone. My quick story in a nutshell. Ive have heatburn probs for about the last 6 years. Had a upper/lower GI, the doc saw nothing but some small erosion and I went on Nexium and it did work wonders. I, like some others would get off it (even after changing my diet) and it would come back. My wife and I relocated to another area and my nexium presc ran out so I switched to others meds, (otc:zantac,prilosec,pecid,tagamet) all not working very well at all, even the strongest of them. At night I feel the heartburn coming up into my esophogus, sometimes even when I stand up. Im a thin tall guy, not overweight. It seems my heartburn has gotten worse. I get a orange coating on my tounge every morning when I get up. I hear its from the acid reflux.
Here is my main question here: Is there anything that you can take that can help strengthen the LES valve? any natural meds or otherwise. It seems to me that that is my problem, it feels as is if the LES is not working any longer. I have heard about the operation to fix it, heard good and bad about it. Id rather hear about anything that you can do otherwise.
Does anyone here know of anything? and or any other meds otc ones that they have tried after nexium that seem to work? any help would be greatly appreciated....dan

Old 10-30-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
(female)

mymeka HB User
Re: Does anyone know anything that can help tighten your lower esophageal sphincter (LES)

Dan,

I do like Nexium very much for my issues, but you could try any of the PPI's and they'd probably work, such as Aciphex.

How about Pepcid AC before going to bed, in addition to a PPI?

I am also beginning to take Digestive Enzymes, 1 before each meal, and have been told that really helps. Time will tell.

Best of luck!

Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Dan_the_man HB User
Re: Does anyone know anything that can help tighten your lower esophageal sphincter (LES)

Hi Lori,
Dan,

Can you tell me about Aciphex? is it otc or presc? For enzymes what do you use? also, PPI's are what exactly? sorry new so some of this stuff...thanks a bunch....

Old 10-30-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Dan_the_man HB User

Hi Lori,
Dan,

Can you tell me about Aciphex? is it otc or presc? For enzymes what do you use? also, PPI's are what exactly? sorry new so some of this stuff...thanks a bunch....dan

Old 10-31-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
(female)

mymeka HB User

'Can you tell me about Aciphex? is it otc or presc? For enzymes what do you use? also, PPI's are what exactly? sorry new so some of this stuff.'

Dan,

Aciphex is one of the medications used to treat GERD. Some others you will hear are Nexium, Protonix.........(all prescription only) and some over the counter meds, such as Pepcid AC, etc.

PPI, I believe, stands for Proton Pump Inhibitor.

I wish you the best of luck!

Lori

Closed Thread