It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 02:26 AM   #1
(female)

midwestmom HB User
horrible pain in throat, chest and back is not going away

It's 4am and I'm still wide awake because of the pain in my throat, chest and back. I've tried Tums, something else with the red lid that I just bought and they didn't do anything. What do you do when this just doesn't go away? I've been on Nexium for almost 2 years. This is so awful. I have to get up at 7 to get my little boy ready for school. And I have a 3 year old to take care of all day. How do I relieve this pain right now so I can get some sleep?

Old 11-28-2005, 02:27 AM   #2
(female)

midwestmom HB User
Re: horrible pain in throat, chest and back is not going away

Pepcid Complete was the other thing I took.

nothing....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
(female)

midwestmom HB User

Q. What are the most common prescription medications used to treat GERD symptoms?
A. The most common prescription drugs are proton pump inhibitors (PPIs).

Proton pump inhibitors, such as Prilosec® and Aciphex™, are another type of acid reducer. They suppress stomach acid. By drastically reducing the acid, these drugs can help stop the irritation and allow the damaged tissue in the esophagus to heal.

are these different than nexium? taken with nexium, or instead of????

Old 11-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
(female)

Casey2 HB User

Hi,
I have tried most of the proton pump inhibitors with many different side effects so I am now only taking ranitidine (which is the same type of medicine as pepcid) which also blocks acid but not in the same way as ppis. The aciphex and prilosec are the same kind as nexium and shouldn't be taken together. Perhaps your doctor will have you try a different ppi.
I also take gaviscon after meals and when I wake up at night and that helps some. There are many other medications and natural products that other people have had relief from. You can read some of the other threads about GERD to get more information.
I hope you get some relief soon so you will feel up to taking care of your little ones.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

midwestmom HB User

thanks casey. i was up the ENTIRE night. I finally got some sleep about 10 this morning. that was really awful. i have a appt. with a gi dr. on wed.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
(male)

convncer HB User

Hello Midwestmom.

I too was on nexium and the others you spoke of. It helped with my acid reflux (well, my throat closing when I ate) but the very bad pain always came and went. I tried everything from swicthing PPI's ( I now take Zererid and love it, no chest pain) changed my diet etc.

Finally, after a couple of years of web searching for a clue to my pain I read an article about Gallballder disease. Man what an eye opener. It was me to a tee (sounds like you also).

At MY suggestion to my doctor I had a sonagram done,, bingo,, and just to confirm I had a CAT Scan done..

My gallballder is out (only took 45 min in an outpatient hospital) three to four day recovery and I feel 100% better, NO MORE PAIN..

I still have relflux but no pain at all.. check it out it might be worth your time.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:42 AM   #7
(female)

midwestmom HB User

convncer - i had gallbaldder surgery jun 04. i had never had reflux before that surgery.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
(female)

gummymom HB User

hi there my son is 12 years old and he has gerd as well, hes complaining about chest pain in the center of his chest and sometimes he has acid coming up in his throat, he sees a gastrologist too, and hes on previcid, singulair and flovent, hes been taking them since auguast of this year and for some reason their not working any more, so he has a appointment with his gastro doctor the 16th of dec, hes missing alot of school and im worried about the state coming at my door, but he does have acid refulx and heartburn issues, and the school knows all about him, and ive been calling them and letting them know if hes not able to come to school that day. but im still scared, what do you think his gastro doctor can do for his pain? i want his chest pain to stop, i already took him tothe hospital for his chest pain and it all came out ok. theirs nothing wrong with his heart or chest. please give me some advice. do youthink he might do something for him about his pain and discomfort? soory so long.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 AM   #9
(female)

Casey2 HB User

midwestmom,
Good luck with your appointment today. Have you had any tests yet?
gummymom,
There are so many different medicines the doctor can have your son try.
Have either of you seen an ear, nose and throat doctor?
Best wishes to both of you in treating these very painful symptoms.

Closed Thread