It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
(male)

steve389 HB User
What drug for LPR?

I was wondering if someone could tell me if Zantac 150 mg would be good to take for LPR?
I was on aciphex and I think it was helping but dont have insurance coverage right now.
I have read that for LPR you need to take the drug twice a day for best effects and the doctor said you can't take aciphex twice a day. Anyway any doctor I have ever gone to is not really knowledgeable on LPR - I mean not with the knowledge I have gleaned from this site. This is why I am asking help from you all instead of my doctor.
If Zantac is not a good choice, could someone tell me of something that is affordable that will help? Thank you

Old 12-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User
Re: What drug for LPR?

I'm sorry Steve, but standard treatment for LPR is 2 doses of a PPI a day. You can try Prilosec, which is available over the counter, if you can't afford a presciption. Prilosec used to be prescription-only, but went OTC 2 years ago. It is very similar to, but not the same as, Nexium, Protonix, Etc. Based on my personal experience, and after reading many of the other posts, Nexium seems to have the biggest following, and it is also my personal savior. But Nexium costs about $400 a month for 2 daily doses.

What I suggest doing is buying Prilosec OTC and seeing how it works for you. It's much much much cheaper than the prescription drugs. If it doesn't work, ask your doctor for some Nexium samples - she will be happy to give you like, 2 weeks, or even a month's worth - she gets them for free from drug company reps. Don't feel about about taking them from her - clean out her drug closet if you feel like it. If the Nexium works, you know you need to make the investment in it or get friendly with an online Canadian pharmancy. Here's an idea that I posit - since almost anyone can get a prescription for Nexium 1x a day - do you have a parent or sibling who can claim acid reflux and get a prescription? Someone close to you who would be willing to "share"? Think about it....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
(male)

steve389 HB User

Thank you for your advice. I would like to tell you a little more about my problem. I have never been officially diagnosed with LPR. My problem began three years ago. In the beginning my throat just felt funny, then a little more constricted and more and more so over the years. Right now I feel like I am breathing through a sore straw. My nose also feels constricted without drainage. This is my main symptom. I also have a cough and try to carry warm water with me everywhere I go. I do burp after eating or drinking and I have had some stomach pain and bloating and for years have had chest pains off and on. Also I believe - this is also a self diagnosis - that I have a sliding hiatal hernia because I have pain in my diaphragm with breathing sometimes. I have not had so much problems with this since I quit eating before bed which I have done for years. I also now sleep on a slant. I originally thought I was dealing with thyroid problems, then allergies. Then I found this site the beginning of 2005 and diagnosed myself with LPR. I did have an endoscopy done and the doctor said that the only thing he could see was sluggish swallowing. I can not tell you the number of health care professionals that have described my problem as "nerves." A PA put me on aciphex and I think it was helping? I just couldn't afford it. I want to call the doctor tomorrow and see if he will give me some samples of nexium. Thank you for this advice. I want to be completely honest, though. But does it sound like I have LPR?
Another question: Would this vinegar treatment work for me in the same way it has helped others with Gerd or is it just going to burn my esophagus and make the damage worse? I don't like to take drugs and the vinegar treatment would definitely be cheaper. Also, if I understand right, it is when you eat that your stomach secretes acid. So if I am eating all day - small meals - is this going to make the acid worse? The ENT told me that the drugs should always be taken a half an hour before a meal.

Just for the record, I am not Steve. I am signed in as Charityna but I am not too knowledgeable on computers and can't figure out how to sign in right. Steve is my sons name.

Old 12-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charityna,

It's possible you have LPR. Typically, an ENT will slide a scope up through your nose and down your throat. The camera at the end will record video of your larynx - typically, red and swollen larynxes can be indicative of LPR. May of your symtpoms were the same as mine, but I'd still see an ENT - otherwise known as an otolaryngologist.

Xantac is not a PPI. Xantac is part of another class of earlier acid drugs. The only drugs worth taking for chronic acid reflux are in the PPI class - they are proton pump inhibitors and actually reduce the amount of acid that your body can produce. Currently, Prilosec OTC is the only PPI available over the counter. Others, like Prevacid, Nexium and Protonix are only available through prescription.

You don't need to rely sole on a doctor looking at your throat to see if you have LPR. If you have a positive response to the medication, you likely have LPR. So go to your doctor, and ask her for 2 week's worth of Nexium samples. Then take 2 a day. My response to Nexium (but only at the 2 a day dose) was immediate and confirmed diagnosis. The only way to relieve your larynx of the acid attack on it is to reduce the amount of acid in your stomach, so less comes up.

Do you have any prescription drug covereage?

Old 12-17-2005, 02:15 PM   #5
(male)

steve389 HB User

Thank you for your advice. I did go to the doctors and he gave me enough samples of Nexium to last me a week. I asked for a months worth to take twice a day but they said no. He did give me a prescription for it but it is only for one a day. Except for a miraculous provision, it is out of my budget. I looked up Nexiums web page and they do offer discounts to people sponsored by the drug companies. I am going to check into it. I don't know if I should even start the drug knowing that I only have a weeks worth. Do you think I should go ahead and take it for a week twice a day or once a day for two weeks or maybe start on it and then buy the over the counter drug? What makes Nexium better than the over the counter drug if it does the same thing? My husband may be transferring to another job next year? and then we will have health care coverage. I am encouraged with the information you gave me knowing that possibly with treatment there is hope for recovery. Thank you very much!

Old 12-17-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Though I am not a health professional, my opinion is this:

Since LPR requires twice daily dosing, and you seem to be presenting syptoms of LPR, I'd suggest taking 2 Nexiums first thing in the morning, then another 2 nexiums after another 24 hours. Every person I know who was treated successfully with Nexium responded immediately. In my case, 95% of my coughing disappeared within minutes. It almost shuts down the acid production in your stomach so there is much less acid shooting up to your larynx. Nexium has few side effects, though it is possible to have some. I personally had no side effects at all.

To maximise the effectiveness of your Nexium try-out, eat bland food that day. No coffee, no chocolate, no fatty meat, nothing fried. Stick to eaily digestible carbohydrates if you can, to give your body a chance to respond at the maximum. Take the 2 Nexium at the same time.

I don't know why Nexium is such a successful drug. I had one doctor tell me that the Prilosec that is sold OTC is the same drug, only it is the Left side of the molecule instead of the right side? I am unclear as to why people respond differently. However, Prilosec is sold over the counter and is a PPI, and is very very similar to NExium. You might respond well to it, and it's only about a $40 a month investment. But I think it's better that you try real Nexium first, and see what your response is before you try Prilosec. Let's say you do well on NExium, and then try Prilosec - you should take the Prilosec in conjunction with some Xantac for maximum effectiveness. In fact, you can also take Xantac along with Nexium (my doctor told me to, but I found that the Nexium was good enough).

Some people require treatment with Nexium for several weeks for improvement - who knows if you will be one of them. But if you do respond to the Nexium while you are taking it, it's almost certianly indicative of acid reflux, and specifically LPR. If you don't respond, then I don't know what to say ....

Old 12-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #7

zoot_suit_brian HB User

a better explanation is this the molecule in nexium looks like a right hand.

you can also make the same molecule except that it is a mirror image, i.e. it looks like the left hand.

only the right handed molecule stops acid production.

prilosec contains both the right hand and the left hand, because the process for making these chemicals naturally produces both the left hands and the right hands. So in effect only half of the prilosec actually has an effect, which is why the nexium is more effective. And i guess the left handed molecules have some negative side effects, which is why they just can't double the dosage of the prilosec.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:05 PM   #8
(male)

steve389 HB User

Thank you for your advice. I am going to try it and will let you know how I do. I haven't taken any yet - have had some stomach pain the last few days and wanted to wait until it cleared? - so I could tell if the Nexium was helping.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi ASWANDER after reading your messages I was shocked to know that this acid can cause such mess. anyway i started n the nexium again since you said it worked for you, for how long did you go without eating? It has been 2 months for me, i also have ear pain and popping in the ears and a million other things

anyway I am so happy that the ent doc I finally found whats wrong with me! I was in such a deep depression and anxiety and i didnt belive the doc at all, and after reading your message this is what I have and have been to th ER countless time for chest pains, shoulder pains,asthma and i also feel this burining near my breast bone, also I had this horrible cancer sore in my mouth, it took 2 wees to heal until i tried colgate orabase which finally healed the sore, but this has been teh hardest thing i have been through in my life, no food for 2 months, at timesi didnt think i woudl survive, I just hope this throat heals fast and i get relief from this nightmare, thanks again and THANK YOU JESUS FOR HELPING ME FIND THE ANSWER, MY PRAYERS WERE ANSWERED. GOD BLESS YOU ASWANDER FOR SHARING YOUR STORY

Last edited by jennyVee; 12-21-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
(female)

HalieLorene HB User

Acid can cause sores in your mouth, I experienced a white spot on my tonsil from it. I am curious why you said that she should take two nexiums in the morning? I take one in the morning and one at night.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi guys I am not sure what i will do now, the nexium did help me so much! but my BP was so high and it usually runs low, so I am not sure whether to take it again I got a bit scared since my heartbeat was pretty bad all night, but the throat issue has improved immensely in 1 day! amazing that nexium almost cured me in one day!

anyway I also have acidphex not sure if i should try that one, since I need to take 2x a day, maybe i should not take them together. not sure but the high BP did scare me

Old 01-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
(male)

steve389 HB User

I did take the Nexium for a week and I think I was feeling somewhat better - maybe, if so it was barely. I have been off it for about a week or two. I then went three days without eating and can hardly breathe today. If this is LPR why does not eating make it worse? I am sleeping in a chair and I sip on warm water all day. Should this not help? How could acid be getting in my throat if I give it no opportunity?

Old 01-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #13
(male)

cobalt222 HB User

From what I've read and heard Nexium otherwise known as esomeprazole is one of the most effective drugs for lpr alone. Having been on nexium 40mg for around 3 weeks I can say initially I noticed some improvement including a more neutral taste in the mouth as well as a less congested nose and less mucous. However after the first 10 days I began getting awful churning in my stomach for say 3 hours each day it was very uncomfortable and I was getting soft stools. Needless to say it was so unbearable I had to stop the nexium. I guess this is because the acid which the PPI's are restricting is also required to maintain your digestive system so now I am in a catch 22 situation. Can anyone give some advice please on this??

Old 01-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #14

zoot_suit_brian HB User

did you try adding raisans and or high fibre cereal to your diet? ive notived that seems to help alot with some of the digestive side effects of PPI's

Old 01-09-2006, 05:23 AM   #15
(male)

steve389 HB User

Cobalt 222, I was just curious to know if you have been diagnosed with LPR? I have not read of anyone else having trouble with their nose, too but I do also. It just feels like the airway is small and sort of swollen inside. I also have throat mucous but have not been diagnosed with LPR, in fact the testing I had done said I had no damage to my esophagus and no hiatal hernia - had a scope done. But from this site I have found I have so many symptoms of it. It is sort of a self diagnosis and since the drugs seemed to help, I think I might be right. I just cannot afford them. Also, I don't know how you can inhibit the stomach acid without causing longterm affects on a bodies health. I believe that God made our bodies to be able to heal themselves if given an opportunity. Therefore, I am still trying to treat it right now without drugs. Both times I went off of the drugs my problems multiplied 10xs! I understand your predicament in the pro or con drug issue and hope you can get some relief!

Closed Thread