It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
Exclamation DON"T combine NEXIUM with ANTIBIOTICS-very dangerous

Hi guysi just read that nexium and antibiotics can be deadly, that is very scary, it can cause internal bleeding here is the info I found

Special warnings about Nexium

The antibiotics prescribed in conjunction with Nexium for the treatment of ulcers have occasionally been known to cause severe side effects and life-threatening allergic reactions. If you've been prescribed this combination, be sure to check the entries on Amoxil and Biaxin for more information.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
(male)

Twig HB User
Re: DON"T combine NEXIUM with ANTIBIOTICS-very dangerous

Is this true with any other PPI's?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi twig, I believe so i was just given protonix and it says the same thing, be very careful using antibiotics becaus eit seems to be life threatining, anywya how are you doing were you able to eat yet, i am still straving away almost 3 months for me, i went to the cleveland clinic today and the doc will send me for more tests, hope he hlpes me out since my regular doc is no good, how isit going for you?

Old 01-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
(male)

Twig HB User

I am finally able to eat...
It was a slow process to eating but I finally am back to normal.
I just got off a round of amoxicillin for a sore throat with some infection...
Now you have me all freaked out. I take Prevacid 2x a day. I am very worried about my endoscopy the 20th, from what I'm reading everyone seems to say its no big deal but it seems like a big deal. I have had to take Ativan the past few nights because of my anxiety from it....
TWIG

Old 01-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh my twig I am so sorry did not mean to worry you i checked into it and here is what i found I think your ok, if your unsure call your pharmacist.

Possible food and drug interactions when taking Prevacid
If Prevacid is taken with certain other drugs, the effects of either could be increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Prevacid with the following:

Ampicillin
Digoxin (Lanoxin)
Iron salts (Ferro-Sequels, Ferro-Sulfate)
Ketoconazole (Nizoral)
Sucralfate (Carafate)
Theophylline (Theo-Dur)
Warfarin (Coumadin)

Do not take Prevacid if you've ever had an allergic reaction to it, or if you've ever had an allergic reaction to penicillin or macrolide antibiotics, such as clarithromycin (Biaxin) or erythromycin (E.E.S., E-Mycin, ERYC, Ery-Tab, Erythrocin, PCE).

You must also avoid Prevacid if you're taking cisapride, pimozide, astemizole, or terfenadine. Combining Prevacid with these drugs could cause dangerous--and even fatal--heartbeat irregularities.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am glad your eating! thats great

anyway did the prevacid help you, is it teh dissolvable kind?

by the way the endoscopy is fine, I get very anxious since I hate being put to sleep but this really is nothing to worry about.they give you soem numbing spray and then they out you on your side and then put you to sleep pretty fast after getting in the room, and in no time your awake, a little groggy but fine nothing to panic about, by the way now since my food gets down so slow, i am afraid of choking and am avoiding food! my anxiety has taken over this mess, an now to top it of i have a bad cold and my throat is all sore. i mean when i try to swallow food it goes down soo slow that i think i will choke, does this happen to you?

Old 01-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
(female)

Andra31 HB User

jennyvee,
Hello I am taking Nexium now and I need to take cephalaxin 500mg. Are they supposed to be bad with that drug also?? I have not picked them up yet.
Thanks,
Andra

Old 01-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

the warning says if you are using Nexium for treating ulcers so I wonder if the reaction would be the same if you didn't have an ulcer..

Old 01-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #9
(female)

midwestmom HB User

OH MY. I've never heard this. I just finished 10 days of 1000 mg of cephalexan twice daily. I had no idea..... Thanks for the heads up! I've taken Nexium for almost three years and never heard this before.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi guys, i am not sure if you could take of cephalexan . i know it does mention amoxicillin, I will search for more info, but just reading that info got me so scared that if it were me i would not combine the 2 drugs. but maybe a pharmacist can tell you for sure.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
(male)

Twig HB User

I have my endo tomorrow. Im really nervous. I had to take an Ativan this morning because of my nerves. They called me today and said that I was able to take an ativan before the procedure. I am the biggest worry wort. I have really bad anxiety only over health issues. I have been able to eat again like normal. I did have a spell the other day where I felt like I was choking but it wasnt too bad. Thanks for the encouragement, I will let you know how everything went as soon as I can get back online....Probably Saturday...
Thanks
TWIG

Old 01-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
(female)

Andra31 HB User

Twig,
I totally know what you are going through right now. I was soooo scared the night before and the morining of. The doctor even told me I could reschedule if I was that nervous but I knew it had to be done as I am sure you do. The thing that helped me the most was I brought my bible there with me and read. My doctor gave me a list of things to read to know that God is with us and it really helped. If you like I can tell you the things to read that will help to comfort you. Your procedure will go fine and I will pray for you. Tomorrow you will be happy and all that worrying for nothing ( which causes more acid ) Please let us know how it went and try not to worry ( easier said then done) My endo was not all that long ago.
Andra

Old 02-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
(male)

Azghoul HB User

So let me make sure i have this right. Do not MIX prevacid and antibiotics? Or is it if you are alergic to penicilin(sp) you should not take prevacid?? From what i can tell on the drug info on prevacids web site is if you are allergic to Penicillin you should not take it with prevacid b/c of anaphalyctic shock. So i assume it is safe to take prevacid by itself then?

Last edited by Azghoul; 02-28-2006 at 04:12 PM.

Closed Thread