It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

crlady HB User
Thumbs up 2 days post op Nissen Fundoplication

I had my surgery Monday along with the correction of two hernias in my chest cavity. The Dr. allowed me to come home Tues since I was able to swallow. Also, I CAN BURP! This is good news, often people can't after this surgery and all the gas has to come out the other end. My husband is happy about this too !! Burping hurts but I need to expell all the gas they pumped into me during surgery. The Dr. told me he did a more narrow wrap and that usually means a faster recovery and also allows a person to swallow sooner. I can only swallow liquids two times and then have to take a break but it's better than I expected. I'll be on clear liquids only for a week then hope to move on to Ensure, milkshakes, etc. Soft foods after a month.

I can't seem to concentrate on anything: TV or reading and still have a lot of pain in my chest, throat, and shoulders but hopefully this will pass.

I was concerned since I live in a 3rd World Country (Costa Rica) but everything seemed to go as planned and I have confidence in my doctor. I'll post updates as time goes by.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
(female)

SWTE HB User
Re: 2 days post op Nissen Fundoplication

Hi,

Congratulations! I had my lap nissen on 12/14/05. I can burp as well. I was on clear liquids only a day and then moved onto full liquids. I had my surgery at Mayo Clinic in minnesota.

I hope things continue to go well for you.

Heidi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

crlady HB User
Angry Re: 2 days post op Nissen Fundoplication

Heidi, last night I had earache; actually the pain was as much behind my ears as in my ears. This was 2 days after my fundo. Have you experienced that? Wonder what's up with that

Old 01-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

im happy you 2 have had success with your surgery as for me im still haveing complication's with eating severe stomache problem's and i still have to take protonix 160 mg's a day i really don't think my surgery was done correctly but you know the doctor's they will cover for each other

Old 01-20-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
(female)

crlady HB User

It's now 4 days since my Lap. Fundo and I have big-time chest and shoulder pain. Even into my ears! A heating pad seems to help. I think I must be using my stomach muscles too much. I'm going to give up the bed and spend my time in the recliner since it's easier to get in and out of without using stomach muscles. Seems to feel better too being in a half-seated position rather than lying down.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

lying down wasn't bad for me it was getting up from lying down that was the problem i felt like someone beat the crap out of me after my surgery

Old 01-21-2006, 05:15 AM   #7
(female)

crlady HB User

It's now 5 days since my Fundo. I spent the past 24 hours in husband's recliner with the heating pad on my chest/shoulders. This morning the pain there seems to be less. Breathing causes shart pain in my chest but nothing I can't stand. I'm drinking Ensure, shakes, and juices and eating pureed soups and puddings. Certainly not much, but small amounts every 2 hours. Just made some fattening Flan for later. Going to continue to use the heating pad and recliner. I just hope that shoulder/chest/ear pain doesn't come back!

Old 01-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
(female)

SWTE HB User

Hey,

Sorry I didn't come back and check the board. Since I'm doing so well it just seems that I don't post much, as I'm sure many of us post-surgicals...

Anyway, the pain you guys are having is normal. It is because of the gas they used to inflate your stomach during surgery.

I know it hurts for a while but I promise it will get better.

I had my surgery on 12/14 and I'm eating everything without any problems. In fact I'm getting my tonsils out next week, that is going to be worse than this...

Heidi

Old 01-26-2006, 05:07 AM   #9
(female)

crlady HB User

Had my fundo on Jan 16 (it's now Jan 26) and things are moving along pretty smoothly. I had a few problems: developed a cough and was running a fever but the Dr. said it was a minor lung problem and gave me breathing exercises to do. Seems to be helping.

THE BIG SCARE: I hadn't had a BM since my surgery and on Tues. I finally had one but when I wiped THERE WAS BRIGHT RED BLOOD on the paper! I already had a Dr. appt scheduled for that afternoon. Dr. said sometimes when you don't have a movement for some time you develope a small sac of blood in the anus which bursts when you finally have a movement. That was a relief, I was worried about that.

The shoulder pain is mostly a thing of the past. Still strikes when I least expect it but it's usually a sharp pain that only lasts a few minutes. Not the all-encompassing chest/shoulder pain of last week.

Having problems sleeping and still don't have much of an appetite. Wish I could wear street clothes but they really bother those 5 pokey holes I have, so for now I'll stick with nightgown and robe.

I know there's a lot of scary and depressing info on this board regarding this surgery. I know I was terrified before I had mine so I'm determinded to tell it how it is and let people know exactly how it's gone for me. Stay tuned......

Old 01-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
(female)

crlady HB User
Red face Re: 2 days post op Nissen Fundoplication

It's now 12 days since my lap fundo and I've developed a new problem. After eating (small amounts like 1/2 cup of oatmeal this morning) I have a dull ache and throbing in my esophagus. It's almost like my throat wants to close up. Anyone else have this problem after surgery? I'm not eating much and I'm trying to eat very slowly.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:56 PM   #11
(female)

lvnvcoyote HB User

Heidi,

I was just wondering how you are doing now. I just recentley checked out this area as my ENT mentioned Nissen to me the other day. I have GERD w/Barretts Esophagus. My Gastro doc does and EGD every year, but has never mentioned it, but this is like the 3rd or 4th time now that i have had to go to my ENT, get scoped and be told that my vocal cords etc are in bad shape and put on voice rest for a week or more. This time he asked me about the Nissen and if I had heard of it, so here I am doing some research. You seem to be the most positive person I have run across yet and I was just wondering how you were doing so far?
Thanks for listening!

Colleen

Old 01-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
(female)

SWTE HB User

Colleen,

I am doing wonderful!!! I can eat spicy pizza, etc. I am no longer on medication. I notice if I overeat (had this happen 3-4 times) I get a dull pain at the bottom of my esophagus. So I just really try to listen to my body and quit eating before I'm too full.

This surgery seemed to be optional at first but after having a scope done and the MD at Mayo told me my esophagus was raw, I felt I had no other option other than Nissen.

I took medications faithfully and was on Protonix before my surgery and I had to start taking that twice a day. I figured that even with the medication I had a raw esophagus, I didn't want it to turn into Barrett's so I went for it.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!! I researched alot on the internet and on forums. It seems like you find a lot of negative people on these forums. I had a brain tumor (meningioma) in May 05 and went on a forum and it was nothing but gloom, my surgery went great, it was benign and I recovered fast with no residual effects.

I also have sleep apnea and the same there, everyone is negative about it ever getting better. I know that if I lose weight and have my tonsils/uvula out I have a pretty darn good chance of getting off CPAP.

Remember the saying: "Don't believe everything you hear", its the case on forums.

I feel that my Lap Nissen has saved me from so much pain. I would get heartburn and be so darn crabby because I was so uncomfortable. My quality of life has improved so much I can hardly believe it.

I have also lost 18 lbs., since having the surgery. It will take time to recover but it is not the end of the world. I ate alot of cream of wheat, yogurt, soft stuff. If I ate too fast or if the food was not soft enough for me (in the beginning) I'd have to go to the bathroom and bring it back up to get rid of it.

Honestly it was not that bad and that phase has passed. This Monday I'll be going to have my post op 6 week check up with a barium swallow.

I tell people all the time how wonderful this surgery has been for me. There is a lot of bad talk about it but that is because the people who have had great results are not here on the forums, they have moved on.

Good luck, if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Heidi

Old 01-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
(female)

lvnvcoyote HB User

Heidi,

Thanks so much for writing back! You sound like you are really doing great. I am really leaning more and more towards the N/L. I don't want the Barretts to get any worse, and my ENT said that it has been know to help heal the damage already there with the Barretts - not a guarantee - but hey, it can't hurt to give that part a shot too.

So now I just wait for my Surgery consult, and then my yearly trip in April back to the Gastro Doc and put it all together and we'll take it from there.

Please let me know how your appointment goes with your doctor on Monday. I hope everything goes well. Please keep in touch with me and let me know how things progress.

Thanks so much for allowing me to pick your brain in the future!

Colleen

Old 01-29-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
(female)

crlady HB User
Wink Re: 2 days post op Nissen Fundoplication

Coleen, I was scared to death before my surgery but it wasn't nearly the ordeal I expected. I guess it's better to expect the worst and then have it be better than the opposite. Anyway, it will be 2 wks tomorrow since I had my lap Nissen Fundo and the Dr. said I can start introducting new foods. My throat feels tight after eating so I'll be taking it slow and easy. I haven't had any of the choking, etc and don't want to!

My Dr. told me he did a full, but narrow, wrap and that allows easier swallowing. You might want to ask your Dr. about that. Good Luck!

Old 01-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
(female)

SWTE HB User

My appointment went well. I am 6 weeks post op.

I had few questions for my doctor. Mainly, can the wrap become undone???he said only if there was trauma, such as a car accident or trauma to my abdomen area, if I gained lots of weight, and cigarette smoking. Those three things can make the wrap become undone. I didn't ask anything more about it.

He said I can drink pop if I want but if it causes me to become bloated don't bother.

I think it really matters who does your surgery. I had Dr. S. Cassivi, he is a surgeon who specalizes in thoracic surgery. He is excellent. At Mayo Clinic of course.

Good luck to everyone.

Heidi

Closed Thread