It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
(male)

umanac HB User
LPR, Cough and Lump in throat

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with LPR last May with my only symptom being a chronic cough(i call it hacking). I was given 2X a day nexium, and 4X a day reglan. About 3 months after taking the meds my cough mostly disappeared, but i started getting a lump in my throat. This went on till about the end of December. I got real sick and could barely swallow my throat hurt so bad, my regular doctor told me it was just a virus and gave me some antibiotics. Well eventually it appeared to have healed but then i developed a terrible cough, and i have had it for a month now. So, the lump in my throat is gone, but i have a terrible cough again. My 6 month checkup with the ENT is next friday and i am afraid he is going to tell me that i have no choice but to get the surgery, which I really don't want to do. Did anyone go through this process of having a cough, then it going away, and then coming back with a vengance? If so, what did you do? Also, has anyone with LPR had the surgery done?

Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
(male)

marky1956 HB User
Re: LPR, Cough and Lump in throat

I have been having trouble swallowing and a dry hacking cough over the past 2 weeks. Every so often I hack up some thick flem, but for the most part, just a swallowing issue (tired swallow + a feeling like a small piece of something is in the back of my throat that won't go down). I saw an ENT Dr. 3 days ago, who dx'd me with acid reflux and put me on 40mg Nexium, which I've just started. So we'll see how it goes.

How long did it take for you to lose your cough.....3 months? Did you also experience hacking up thick flem / mucus on occassion with your cough? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
(male)

umanac HB User

I never had any flem of any kind. The best way to describe the cough would be a dry cough. The kind of cough that cuts you off in mid sentence... Also, if the 1X nexium a day doesn't work for you, you should ask your ENT to bump you up to 2X nexium a day, most of the research I have done says that 2X a day is the best, although it doesn't appear to have really helped much with me.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
(female)

Skylar_ HB User

GERD/LPR is a cyclical condition: it comes and goes, will get better for months, maybe even years, then returns sometimes. Maybe this is what's going on? Or are you doing things that aggrevate it: smoking, eating certain foods, etc.?

Old 02-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
(male)

umanac HB User

I haven't been following the diet to a perfect T, persay. I occasionally will have chocolate, or very rarely some salsa or light tomato sauce. But the thing that i don't understand is that my eating habits have not changed from the time that my cough disappeared, to the time that it came back. Any ideas?

Old 02-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
(female)

suncat HB Usersuncat HB User

Umanac,
I too was diagnosed with LPR last March. I got real sick a month ago with a severe sore throat and dry hacking cough. Went to an urgent care center and asked that a rapid strep test be done which was negative and was diagnosed as probable upper respiratory infection/pharyngitis. Took Z-pack (antibiotic) for five days and it went away somewhat but then a week later developed bad bad cold and dry hacking cough, like a new virus just added on to the illness. I'll tell you, having any kind of upper respiratory virus ON TOP of LPR is painful and scary. I'm just now starting to feel better after 4 weeks. Anyway, I am on Nexium 40 mg twice a day. I went off it for 5 months and felt ok but then had horrible sore throat again, so now back on it. I too would like to consider surgery but I would be very very careful and do alot of research before considering it. I think I'd give it five years to where there are more options and better techniques endoscopically. I don't believe the fundo to be as successful as with someone with GERD. There are many reasons you could be refluxing and where anatomically, and it doesn't necessarily have to be acid but could be bile and alkaline fluid.

If you are considering surgery it is recomended the following four tests be done before fundoplication:

1. Video esophagram for evaluation of esophageal motility.
2. Esophageal manometry for assessment of the lower esophageal sphincter.
3. 24 hour pH monitoring to demonstrate a correlation between the reflux of acid and the onset of symptoms
4. An upper gastrointestinal endoscopy to identify the presence of complications of GERD such as esophageal carcinoma.

In regards to your cough, do you have post nasal drip? Could it be acid triggering a response in the esophagus or largynx to cough? Ask you doc about it. Hope this helps, I know what you're going through.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
(male)

umanac HB User

suncat,

thanks for your reply, it gives me some comfort to know that someone else out there is suffering in the same way that i am... just out of curiousity, what were your symptoms when you were first diagnosed? I have had 3 of the 4 tests done. I have not had the ph monitoring, but have had a larynscope test which is similar to the video monitoring, the endoscopy(which was normal), and the mamotry test(which was also normal)... so, in a way all that i have to go off of that i actually even have LPR in the first place is the ENT looking down my throat with a scope, but i have just sort of trusted that he knew what he was talking about... I have not had any sinus related symptoms though, like post nasal drip as you had asked.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
(female)

U-
The first symptoms I had were, I woke up with a sore throat, and it was only on one side. Then it became both sides. The fiberoptic laryngoscopy done in the ENT office showed reddened arytenoids which are cartilage above the vocal cords. Another reason for inflamed arytenoids is arthritis, so I had a bone scan which was negative, so it wasn't arthritis. My other symptom is a lump feeling like I'm swallowing marbles. I only feel it when I swallow. Doc said it is from the inflammed tissue in the throat. I'm back on the Nexium twice a day and feel pretty good. I am going to try to adhere to the behavior modification recommendation such as eating smaller meals and avoiding chocolate, etc. It's tough to do. Plus I love coffee but I've pretty much given that up. So, I'm not a big pill taker but I guess I will take the Nexium for 3-6 months and see how it goes. As you know, if untreated LPR can cause all kinds of havoc. I hope there is more medical research going on in this field because it really affects quality of life for people.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
(male)

marky1956 HB User

Boy, I started on Nexium a week ago, and still no relief to the lump in the throat! I really have trouble swallowing, with a real choking feeling around the neck! How long has this taken to subside after starting Nexium? My doc say 4-6 weeks..... WOW, I hope not! Any thoughts / experience?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
(male)

umanac HB User

The first time my cough went away, which was my only original symptom, it took almost 3 months before it started to disappear after i had started my nexium. I know that may not comfort you to know, but the one thing i have found when talking about this disease is that it is best to be completely honest.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Suncat - a quick question... how would PND affect the situation?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:39 AM   #12
(female)

The reflux can irritate the sinus cavities causing PND and possibly a sinus infection.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #13
(male)

umanac HB User

So, i am going to the ENT tomorrow, and would appreciate it if anyone has any advice in regards to my original post. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
(male)

umanac HB User

Well, it has been a while since i started this post. Since then i have gotten much better with only a slight small cough being my only symptom. I have gotten a new ENT who has suggested that i look into surgery just because i am so young. I asked him if there were any other medicinces i could try, as i have only been on nexium twice a day. He sent me home with 2 week samples for aciphex, prilosec, and protonix. I am going to try each of those for 2 weeks each for the next weeks and then come back to him then. Is there anyone who saw an increased improvement after switching to another PPI?

Old 03-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #15
(female)

Skylar_ HB User

I would definitely try all the drugs before resorting to surgery. I found that Prevacid worked the best for me, so everyone is different.

Closed Thread