It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
(male)

damians HB User
Gerd Symptoms

Thought it might be a good idea for people to list their symptoms of gerd so other people have a reference.

mine are

Left sided chest pain (more like an ache to mild pain) that also goes into left arm.
Centre back pain.
sore thoart.
feeling that something is stuck in throat.
Upset stomach
Tiredness

Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to damians:
bewelltoo (06-28-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to damians For This Useful Post:
ulcheerchick13 (02-24-2011)
Old 02-21-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
(male)

jaboop35 HB User
Re: Gerd Symptoms

Mine were a bit dissimilar from the normal symptoms, so perhaps its beneficial for me to post them.

Basically all i had was an off and on gnawing pain right below my sternum in the middle of my stomach. No heartburn or acid reflux, at least not very often at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
(female)

feistygirl77 HB User

My symptoms went in the ENT zone! I had terrible headaches in the sinus area with sharp eye and ear pain. I also had burning chest pain (esp. bending over) along with the burning tongue and throat. I had to constantly clear my throat and I sometimes experienced nausea as well.

I'm still battling all these symptoms daily and trying to find the right meds for me. I DO know what an acid headache is now though and can treat it if necessary!

The following user gives a hug of support to feistygirl77:
bewelltoo (06-28-2011)
Old 02-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
(female)

kayla000 HB User

Here Goes:

It all started 4 years ago with Right sided upper quadrant pain which has evolved into a bunch of other annoying and scary symptoms.

The worst symptom of all: Chest pain or spasm in throat which feels like a flutter and then my hearts beats wildly for a few seconds. This can happen after caffeine or after changing position.

Sore throat
Gas, bloating, belching
Right sided pain that radiates to back
Jaw and neck pain
Difficulty Swallowing
ANXIETY over all of these symptoms!

Having stress in your life only exacerbates this disease.

The following user gives a hug of support to kayla000:
bewelltoo (06-28-2011)
Old 02-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

Before PPI Meds:
6 months of:

-UNRELENTING and severe chronic coughing. Little sputum - dry hacking cough. Only found relief lying down (on right side, for some reason). I couldn't bear to go to the gym or a movie theater - people would look at me in horror as I hacked away.

-Mild-Moderate Asthma Like Problems - rattle in lungs, slight wheeze, couldn't take deep breath.

-Horrible Oversensitivity to Smells. All strong smells became unbearable (I guess because of erosion is sinus areas?) I quit a job because it was located next to a coffee roasting factory, and I could no longer tolerable the smell of roasting coffee.

-Huge anxiety as a result of all these symptoms and ongoing misdiagnoses. Never had an anxiety problem before this, or after treatment for that matter.
Related to this, is that everyone I knew insisted it was "in my head" since I couldn't get a diagnosis. I felt completely abandoned and out of desperation, set up a time to be evaluated by the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Thankfully, diagnosis came 2 days before my slight was scheduled to leave.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
(male)

dukert HB User

I posted my first post under Gerds and Congestion by mis-take...I meant to post here...not wanting to be repetitive would some of you be kind enough to look at my post there, and tell if the symptoms sound similiar??

Thank you.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
(female)

KJHChemist HB User

My symptoms:

* Pain at the lower part of my breastbone, sometimes radiating further up and sometimes radiating out into my breasts

* Gas and belching

* Sometimes a racing heart or heart palpitations

* Sometimes bowel movements and stools that differ from "normal"

* Loss of appetite and sometimes all-out aversion to food

* Anxiety and frustration over the symptoms and the apparently ability to make sense out the causes and triggers. What bothers me one time will be just fine another.

Last edited by KJHChemist; 02-22-2006 at 12:37 PM.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
(male)

dukert HB User

KJH...Your symptoms sound somewhat similiar to mine...do you get ache under your shoulder blade at all?? I have the chest ache, and belching like you. Does it come and go? Mine is better in am. I am under agreat deal of stress...mom has Alzheimer's for ten year's, and oldest daughter is having seizures....I am anxious, and depressed over my mom. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
(female)

AlabamaWorley HB User

I have pain in the muscles in my back, including under my left shoulderblade, that really crops up when I'm having a bad day with my reflux.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #10
(female)

KJHChemist HB User

YES! I was wondering what that was. It's not really a pain, but I do have a sensation under my left shoulderblade. The timing of mine varies. Sometimes I'm ok in the AM and worse in the PM. And sometimes it seems to wrap around into the AM from the day before.

It's soooo unbelievably frustrating, sometimes I think it's going to drive me out of my mind.

-Karen

Old 02-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
(male)

dukert HB User

I could not agree more with the two of you...I have found that the anti gas medicine helps a bit with some of the aches...I don't know how it causes pain in the chest and back but it sure seems to. I also meant to ask you both if you sometimes get a bit of a dry cough with this??

Best to you both.

Duke

Last edited by dukert; 02-22-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:18 PM   #12
(female)

KJHChemist HB User

I take some anti-gas pills sometimes when I have a lot of pressure and active belching. It does seem to help with the gas, I don't know about it helping with the backache, though.

I honestly can't answer the cough question. I have allergies, so it's really hard to separate GERD-related coughing from allergy coughing.

I don't have much in the way of active pain now that I've gone to two Protonix a day. I do have an odd awareness of the area, though, it feels like the area is tight and sensitive. I don't know what that is....maybe it's just the damage doing some healing.

-Karen

Old 02-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #13
(male)

dukert HB User

Karen...I can't remember but do you ever get chest ache?? And, is it commonly on one-side and comes and goes..better in am worse as day goes on? Thanks

Last edited by dukert; 02-24-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #14
(female)

debbie2862 HB User

I just had an endoscopy this week and was told I have 'inflammation in my esophagus and stomach' as well as gastritis. The doctor put me on Aciphex 20mg once a day.

I'm wondering if I have GERD because looking at the symptoms listed here, I seem to have them in addition to acid reflux.

achy feeling in chest
pain in mid upper back (but I also have a spasm I'm being treated for)
coughing
scratchy throat when I wake up

I've also started having racing heart symptoms but only since I started the meds. It also seems like the other symptoms have gotten worse since I started the meds. Is this normal? Is it the healing process?
Did any of you notice the racing heart BEFORE meds? Maybe some of these are reactions to meds.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #15
(male)

dukert HB User

Debbie

I've had no racing heart, but I am taking Nexium...different from your med...you may want to ask your Pharmasist if that's a side effect? How bad was the endescopy test?? Did you need to drink something before??? Sounds like our symptoms are similiar...does your aching in chest and back come an go?? Is it usually better in am?? Thanks, and best.

Closed Thread